Unit 2B Third rifle hunt

RioHuntNutt

So I drew this hunt for the 1st time in my adult life, my 1st ever rifle tag for deer in NM.I know the unit, have been there a few times on family and friends hunts both deer and elk, but this year I might not be able to make it out there unti the second day of the hunt, a family dinner church friends get together that my bride really wants to go too. So as of now I might not even head up there til Sunday6th, by the time camp is set if lucky maybe an evening hunt.Well Im feeling muzzleloader, I bought a new muzzleloader in 2012 and am yet to hunt with it, so I am thinking about taking it.I know this would be the time I see that 180+ buck at 250 yards and no way to close the distance, but am trying to make a fun hunt and missing the 1st day and a half is gonna be rough.....Ugh, what a man does for his bride....

The hell with the muzzle loader and the camp. Take the rifle shot your buck, load him and go back home. Easy does it. Lol

Screw fun--this is a very-seldom-in-your-lifetime opportunity. You should go put all your spare cash down on 338 Lapua so that when you spot that 230" beast at 900 yards you can take care of business an then put yer smiling mug standing over it on this site for us all to enjoy. I'm sure your bride will understand, but then it's always better to ask forgiveness rather than permission... :)

Haha ,you guys are not giving me good advice.If I saw a 230 inch deer Id prolly pee myself....Id' truely be stinkin happy if I could shoot a 160inch buck....or 150, heck 140 .....just a buck with a third point!!!!5 straight 2x2 bucks, all with my bow but still would love that 3rd point...

You have a very special tag!!! I live in Farmington, therefore, this unit is my backyard. I know it well... I believe if hunted correctly, you have a chance at a true MONSTER!!! To Hell with the muzzleloader! The odds are GREAT that you see a 150"+ deer. missing the 1st and even 2nd day is no big deal, but I believe you are shooting yourself in the foot if you even take that muzzleloader with you. I'd be cool to get him with it, but hey, they have a muzzleloader season in 2B, apply for that, use it when you draw that tag, not this PREMIER Tag. Just my .02.......... Good Luck.

Forget all the crap I posted earlier, take your Bow and have fun that way you leave a monster for me for Jan. Ha Ha.

Bowdeadly Id have a better chance at whackin one with my bow , I don't really remember how to shoot a rifle....Crazyelk once drew this hunt and asked me , how do you hunt mule deer , do ya call em or what??? Sarcasm cuz we normally are chasing bulls with our bows, but I can see the sarcasm/funny of it now....100 yards is a long shot for me.....

Hey man newer muzzle loaders can easily shoot over 200yds effectively. We shoot CVA's, with a .50 cal bullet (295 grain) and 100 grains of Hodgdon triple 7 powder and it will easily do 150 yds.

Add another 1-2 grains of powder and you can shoot up to 250yds no problem.

But hey, a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work!

I have the second rifle hunt and I've been drawn for two muzzle loader hunts and one rifle hunt since 2010. There is no way I would bring a Muzzle loader during rifle season on this hunt. I'm a non-resident so this tag is like winning the lottery. The last time I drew 2B rifle was when the allocations were higher for non-resident.

All is well , my wife is taking our daughter to the dinner function....My dad and I are going up early Friday the 4th and setting up the 5th wheel and also taking my boat so we can wet a line on Navajo.....

+2 what Bulls1 said. That shore line is a magnet for deer drinking morning and evening.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom