Unit 3/301 Antelope

oldmossback

My youngest drew a buck goat tag this year. I was thinking up along the snake river and to the north but no specifics. Never hunted the area before and dont really know what to expect. Will be making a few scouting trips before season. We will be staying in Craig I guess and hunting the first half of the season due to his school schedule. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I would recommend staying in Baggs instead. I stayed in Baggs when I had the tag back in 2018 and it allows you access that north end of the unit much faster in the morning. Fun hunt, you’ll see plenty of bucks but you will really have to weed through them to find something in the mid 70s or better.

Oldmossback, Rifle or archery hunt?

waterhole locations? Do you use Onx mapping program. easy to see them. Here is one in 3 and darned if it does not have a blind on it too. your several scouting trips and maps you have bought or will buy will put you on them. For archery, guys have already been setting temp blinds in of advance coming back to put in actual blinds and otherwise staking them out.

For rifle not sure why I would set up on a waterhole other than glassing for lope in general area and stalking them. Are you thinking of sitting within shooting distance of a waterhole in rifle season?
DECA706E-E9C4-44AE-9332-E6ABD0043430.jpeg

There is enough hunters in the units that hunting water will not be that significant. There is water pretty scattered pretty much through out the unit and the holes on public will have been hunted pretty darn hard by archery and by the Muzzy hunters... you will be a lot better off running and gunning and glassing.

Hey guys,
I am hunting 3/301 rifle tag up near Craig. I have never been in this country and will be taking my 10 year old boy on his first hunting trip. I am hoping for some pointers on where to start in these units. I am not looking for someone's honey hole I am just hoping to put my boy on some animals.

Thank you,

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom