Unit 30 Barbary help!

N

nmrutbuster

well this is my second year to draw, I hunted 15 days last year and saw 4 sheep, two ewes and lambs. I just got back from a 4 day scouting trip and logged over 30 miles on foot. didnt see any sheep but saw some nice deer. I was heading home downn the highway and what do I see, a 30 inch ram standing right behind a big private property sign!!! I immedialty looked on my gps and it is surrounded by private. I consider myself a good hunter and spend lots of time behind the glass but havent been able find these guys. Im not afraid to work and I defintily dont like handouts, but any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Im not asking for someone to tell me there honey hole, But it seems like there is some expert sheep hunters on this forum and any help would be appreciated.

I to have a unit 30 Barbary hunt. This will be my first time hunting Barbary. I have info on some units up north for if someone is willing to share some areas. Thanks

I dont have a whole lot to offer for a trade but would be willing to make something work in any way I could. seems like alot of folks have worked hard to kill some nice sheep on here. i appreciate all the help an pointers I can get.

I have hunted/scouted 30 pretty hard with only minimal success. Have seen a few barbs over the years, including a couple 30"+ giants, but not great numbers. If I ever draw that tag again, I think I'd be open to also exploring 29 some (which I know nothing about) just to see what it might have to offer. Best overall advice I can offer (in addition to what I posted in the other threads on this)is to get a mile or more away from the roads, and then start glassing, and when you get tired of glassing, hike over the next ridge and glass some more. If you're willing to hike around private land in order to access public that is otherwise blocked, you'll increase your odds. Keep at it and don't allow yourself to get discouraged. I tend to find them in bunches between long droughts...

MDBHBarbary_zpsfb350844.jpg

Here are a couple I got pictures of this past week while deer hunting 30. This was before the ridiculous amount of snow that the area received. Well, ridiculous for that area. Didn't see any barbary after the snow.

I would have shot the lead one pretty quick I believe. They were on the north end of the Forest. We saw a few of them on this hunt. We were getting a good ways off the roads though.

That's about all the help I could be.

That's a great picture, thank you for sharing. I got a few more scouting trips planned in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can lay my eyes on one.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-13 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]
Great picture! I'd recommend shooting that first one too, and if it's getting late in the season, I wouldn't hesitate on the second one either. That rub mark on the first one's left shoulder is a telltale sign of good one.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom