Unit 31?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I'm looking for any info on unit 31. Anything would be helpful. Good untit? public ground? heavily hunted? too many hunters? what do you think?

Steve

Wiz,

I look out my back windows on 31. I have never hunted it but I do get out there some. It is a fair to middling unit for deer with lots of public land and lots of roads, especially since the CNG gas boom. The lower portions of it have very little water, the areas that do have water are mostly private. You'll want a good map that shows land ownership. Weather is the big equalizer in all the fair to middlin units here, without weather they can be real bad. It's not much of an elk unit IMHO.

Sparkeyroasterbruise003.jpg

Bean

Awesome is right!! I'd be calling in sick a lot if I had that view! Thanks for the info.

Steve

Steve,

That's Sparkey. He was attacked and almost killed by a coyote about 20 yards behind that fence last fall. When I came upon the scene the coyote had him by the throat and it was almost over. I got a new rifle out of the incident.

BTW anyone who buys an expensive voucher for 31 or 41 (which is the unit I live in) ought to have their head examined.

Fred

I don't think I'd ever buy a voucher or landowner tag unless they were very cheap anyway. I've got to the point in my life where I need to start burning the points I've got. I only have 1 in CO but I want to start hunting different areas if you know what I mean. It's not about a trophy with me.....it's about seeing other places and hunting different places with my Dad. He's 65 and who knows how much longer he'll be able to climb mountains the way he does. I know one point isn't much but I'll have two for next year when I buy one this time around.

You got a new gun out of the deal when your dog got attacked? I don't follow?

Steve

Steve,

I was able to convince my Wife that I needed a dedicated Coyote rifle to defend the Family. Savvy?

Fred

Fred- You've got to manipulate the system whenever you can, brother. Nice work!!

Steve

You may want to let her know that coyotes are also deterred by shiny new trucks as well!!

Fred,

Did you see any big bucks on the winter range? Since the 3rd season was a flop, I just wondered if they came down later and if you are seeing them or picking up any sheds.

ICM,

I saw very few decent bucks this winter. Usuaully I will see at least one that gets my blood going but not this year. I spent a fair amount of time out coyote hunting around Horse Mountain and they just weren't there. They shouldn't have winter killed the previous year but something is going on.

Interesting. That's why we call it hunting. I am always amazed in some of the unexplained changes I see in wildlife. Maybe there was a water difference, an influx of predators or some other deal. I hope they bounce back quickly for you.

Thanks for the response.

Not trying to hiest this post but, how about 31 for a 2nd choice archery unit? Is it worth a shot or is it more low country, better for rifle?

Fuzzy,

I've never spent any time in the higher country of 31. I have seen deer during all seasons down along the Colorado River in Debeque Canyon next to the Interstate 70. That area is public but it can be hard to access because it's on the other side of the river. I've gotten over there by parking on the side of the interstate and walking through a tunnel and then crossing lanes and hopping the fence. The railway tunnel is way scary though, it looks like there is enough room to lie down on the side if a train comes but I now use the vehicle tunnel instead. IMHO there are better choices for your hunt.

Bean

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom