Unit 32 cow elk

B

BearHunter57

I got drawn for the cow elk hut in 32 starting Oct. 1 I've never got an elk so I'm pretty pumped up can any one give me some advise on where to start? i went scouting and did not see any sign or elk any advise would help a lot an be greatly appreciated!!

Been looking for bear in 32 and haven't run across any elk yet. If I do I'll let you know.

bugling behind the house. I am not a big fan of the cow hunts. One of the reasons are Elk have taken such a big hit. I think a kid should get to hunt cows and after their first year have to hunt bulls.

Im 17 and this is my first year elk hunting, and i've been up to 32 deer hunting and seen a some elk track so i put in for an elk tag this year.

The reason im asking i just moved here a year ago and went deer hunting up 32 last year and got a 4 point i saw elk signs so i put in for the cow elk tag cause this year is my first year elk hunting and im only 17, so i was asking for a starting point for elk in 32.

beavis14 I bet is a native Idahoan. I moved here a little over a year ago and found this to be the kind of attitude you get. I know what your going to say, if you don't like it move; but our government let illegal immigrants infiltrate my hometown area and poach our local mule deer herd. I'm not saying all Idahoans are this way it just seems a majority of them are. The reason a person puts in for an area that they don't know where the game is because they hunted the general areas and found them to stink, as shown in the lack of non residents tags sold, and are hoping that there is actually game somewhere they haven't got to hunt. You can tell me that the general areas have game and they do, but few and far between especially quality animals. If you think there is quantity of game here you need to hunt other states. Give this guy a break he just wants a good hunt like we all do and if you don't want to give any info or more likely the cas-don't have any to give don't reply at all. Just go out and harvest your game and put the pics on here,let us know how many of them are from general public land hunts beavis14.

Good luck finding any resident elk in there, they're few and far between. The elk don't filter down into that country until much later in the year. Advice: Leave your earth-destroying four wheeler at home, guys abusing ATVs has ruined the whole experience of hunting in that area and drastically limited access to private property.

Shoot me a pm and I'll give you some help.

The attitude can be a little strong on here, but I do get tired of the people who always ask and never answer.

I won't give you coordinates, but I will say I have seen elk in that unit the past three years on or before Oct. Get away from the roads and easy access trails. Remember, legally you can not use a quad or motorcycle to hunt from except on roads designated for full size vehicles, not just trails you can fit on. That unit is not real diverse, so just get on top of those ridges and hike and glass. Look for brushy draws. There isn't a lot, but they are around. I'm sure most are on private ground this time of year though, so don't trespass unless you have permission.

I always answer, thanks for the info if the elk are in there i will find em thats what i do, i just was asking for a starting point.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-11 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p]>why do people put in for
>units that they have no
>idea where the game is
>??

Why would a person spend all the time and money scouting unit 45 when they might not ever draw it? Seems like a dumb question to me. These are draw units, some you might not draw twice (some you might) so if you are not going to hunt it again, I see no harm in giving a tip about an area. I do think that a hunter should get maps, familiarize themselves w/ the boundaries, and do some legwork as much as possible first, but the last time I checked the people and information on this site are part of the legwork. I thought that this site was for hunters to share info about hunts and and brag a little. not 8itch. If I had information on draw hunt units, I would spill it in hopes that I will someday get some info. I think that asking for starting points in general areas is a little different. Anyone who wants to hunt that OTC general hunt can go into the area and scout. even then you can still point someone in the right direction. "head up the middle fork rd and find a spot to start hiking uphill" .........that's my opinion.

I think we hunted 32 back in o4. saw a few elk in it we camped up of blue bunch road.
there were some farms on FR165 that we saw cows on they might give you permission

There are plenty of elk in there!!! Hunt harder than these other bone heads -get off the roads- and you will be in good shape for a cow. I have gotten that tag before and seen lots of elk in there. This was a couple years ago when I had the tag but have hunted that unit and the surrounding units alot over the last 10 years, but I would suggest staying low in the valley's contrary to popular belief and find the thick cover. I always see them down low. That area gets hunted very hard up high early in the season - thats why I've always stayed fairly low and in harder to access areas. FYI-there has been wolves up there in the past and seem to push the elk and deer off of the ridgetops. And don't worry bout some guys giving you a hard time on here... there ARE good fellow hunters that are willing to help each other out. After all, its about being in the outdoors and taking the guns for their once a year walk. If you have any questions, pm me and id be happy to help you out with some areas to look at.

Dude, that's the biggest load of misinformation you could've offered this kid. 32 has the highest road density of any unit in the state-- so good luck "getting away from the roads." Wolves moving elk around-- WTF?? There are damn few resident elk in that country, that's a fact.

I agree that your definition of "plenty" and the rest of us may differ greatly. November maybe better and December for sure. I quesion your knowledge of this unit when you refer to it's High Country. 32a has high country, but unit 32, especially that portion included in this hunt is mostly two major ridge lines where the top is only 1000-1500 feet different. BTW, much of the brushy low country is private so be careful there. Much of the western side of 32 is not included in this hunt.

I think many people think they know a lot more than the average guy, but they offer a lot of tags for this unit and it's a rare year you can't pick these tags up in either the first or second draw so I doubt this hunt is a real secret. I have the tag, but mostly because I have a buck tag also and the cow will be more of an opportunity hunt.

I did see wolves in here last winter. Wish I had a tag then.

I got this tag because we'll be deer hunting there alot and the freezer is low on meat an elk will help fill it.

Well still haven't seen anything hopefully during deer season they'll get pushed around and i'll come across one need that weather.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom