Unit 32 Mule Deer Dissapointment

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Well I decided to buy a leftover tag for unit 32 this year. I know they're leftovers for a reason but I'd heard there were good deer to be had in the unit. After hunting several different areas, I either found dismal deer numbers or a buck to doe ratio that I swear was approaching 1:12 or so, making getting close to them almost impossible with all those does around them. I'm curious about how others did this year as at this point, I won't be buying this tag again next year if I don't draw, unless someone gives me hope! Thanks.

I'm a firm believer that any time spent on a hunt beats time in the office, but yeah, you're confirming what I experienced the last few years. I think 32 needs to be given a chance to recover. I'm surprised at the continued allotted tags.

Oh don't get me wrong...way better than being at work but I think next year I'll choose to spend time hunting another species if the best I can do is a unit 32 tag. It was very frustrating. Other than my Whitetail hunts, this season has been very frustrating all around. I'm hunting Barbary in a few weeks and hope to maybe finish the season on a good note!

Well I hunted 13 this year and saw enough deer to cover one hand and a few fingers. Absolutely sad!! Damn near makes me not even want to hunt the ones that are around being there is soo little remaining.

That being said... My buddy was hunting in 38 when he bumped into a person studying the mule dear heards in NM and they are trying to determine why the decline in mule deer so much lately.

He said they had recently trapped 5 lions and collared them. My buddy said trapping and releasing lions isn't going to help mule deer.

The guy said it was to determine if and how many deer lions were taking out.

So not sure how much lead way this is making but he said he had been in the southern part of NM (roswell areaa) doing the same.

But it was sad Jan for most bowhunters I know.

Seeing a mule deer now, is like seeing an elk years ago. It is a big deal just to see some.

In the past, seeing 50 plus deer and 10 legal bucks a day was the norm in unit 30, for example. I hunted 5 dyas there a few years back and saw a total of 20 deer the entire hunt.

They sure have let them slip and slip fast. These menial tag reduction are going to do little.

I literally hunted across the road from 32 and had deer everywhere. We were seeing atleast 50-60 deer a day. Counted 16 different bucks one day. My cousin and I both tagged some small forkies lol but couldnt be happier for our first year deer hunting with a bow.

i used to love to hunt that unit i hunted it for over 10 years and each year had successful hunt taking out 4x4 mature bucks an occasional 3x3 sometimes but stopped hunting it ever since the land swaps started in that unit the first year i was limited to their open areas and not able to get back in where i wanted to i stopped seeing good size deer so i don't hunt that unit anymore rather not waste my money on a trip that if has success will only harvest a small in-mature buck i rather see them cut the tags in there by half and let the deer have time to get mature

When I first got stationed out here I bought a leftover unit 32 tag. I ran into the same issues as you have. Either seeing a bunch of does or nothing at all. I did run into a good bachelor group in the early season but couldn't seal the deal. The unit is very big as well and i got harassed by quite a few landowners on the state lands. But once I explained it was archery season they kind of backed off. From talking with some guys that have lived here their whole life Unit 32 used to be a killer unit. Good luck to you this year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom