Unit 34 Bear

nmgarman

Was wondering if it would be worth getting the OTC bear license to have during my elk hunt? It has been a long time since I have been there and was curious to know what the bear numbers were like these days.

Saw this one yesterday. WAY over there! Right at a mile away across the canyon.

46a893d73a644d0b.jpg

Thats pretty cool Cookie, that looks about 6500 elevation.

I have seen several bears up here, but, by no means is 34 filthy with bears. The dog hunters keep them pretty well in check.
I have seen Hound hunters from as far away as North Carolina as well as other southern states and states north of NM.

2 years ago during archery season I had a bear follow right up the game trail i had been side hilling and i had a tag. I drew back an d then saw the 2 cute little cubs with her. She got within 10 yards of me before she saw me and went a$$ over tea kettle getting out of there.

Unless you really want to play high odds i think the bear tag would be a waste of money.

I'm glad they finally separated Unit 34 from the zone that includes Unit 36. I hunt Unit 36 for bears and had to keep checking the website to make sure the season wasn't closed on account of all the bears killed out of 34.

Buy the tag if your elk tag is for the archery hunt, otherwise you will see the biggest bear of your life standing 20 yards in front of you at the waterhole you've been sitting at all day.

I can not wait you guys are getting me all riled up. I am headed out specifically for bears on unit 36 and if we can't find them there I guess one of my buddies has one that keeps coming on the back porch of his cabin above CloudCroft and destroying his BBQ trying to get the grease out of it. Either way I am really hoping to get a shot at one. I have never hunted them before so I guess if it happens all you guys will be some of the first to know about it.

Jordan

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom