Unit 34 Mule Deer

WITUfan

A friend of mine has asked for some advice on units he should consider for a mule deer hunt in WY. He hasn't asked me because I have any real knowledge on the subject but because he knows I enjoy looking through the drawing odds and harvest data and looking at maps much more than he does.

Given his preference point situation, he could draw a tag in unit 34. I have read a bit on this site by doing a search and I think it might be what he is looking for. He is really just wanting a hunt for a decent buck. I don't know enough about scoring mule deer to talk scores, but while he would take a trophy, I don't think his sights are set on what most people on this forum consider a big mule deer. He is excellent physical condition, but does not have access to horses, so that is part of the reason I am thinking he should probably look at a limited draw area rather than putting in for Region G.

I will admit the type of hunt he is looking for is really similar to what I want to do in a few years. I don't have as many preference points as he does, or I would put in with him. If he goes out there and has success, I am going to tell him that my consulting fee is going to be his BLM map with notes of where he saw deer!

If anyone has any input of Area 34, I would sure appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!

I got a big surprise when I just went into the F&G website to look at the draw odds for unit 34 and they have a fancy new website that just went online today. Anyway, you didn't say how many PPs you or your friend have, but it took <3PPs for a 34 tag last year and 45.16% drew with 2PPs. Therefore, if you guys have a decent average of around 3 to 3.5 PPs you could put in as a party and most likely draw that tag this year. Look back in this Forum to last year and you should find the information you want on the unit. I know I put up what I think was one pretty informative post regarding the unit. If he, or both of you, hunts hard I think decent bucks are available in that unit.

2 years ago my friend and I drew this unit with a 1.5 averaged PP.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

There's probably a reason why it doesn't take a lot of points to draw 34. One thing the G&F needs to change is being able to archery hunt 34 with a general tag. Lot's of local guys put in for 87, 89, etc. When they don't draw, they pick up a general tag and pound 34 hard during archery season. Some of the better bucks in that area are getting whacked before those folks that were lucky enough to draw a tag even go hunting...

That's interesting because 34 is a LE unit for nonresidents and I didn't realize it could be bow hunted earlier by residents on a general tag. There are so many different scenarios a person needs to look into that it's getting ridiculous.

I didn't realize that about the archery hunting either. I assumed the easier to draw nature of the unit had to do with lower trophy quality and the amount of private land in the unit. Speaking of private land, does the archery hunting push many deer onto the private? Sometimes this research does seem hopelessly difficult when I am so far away!

Topgun, thanks for the information. I should have included some information about our point situation. My friend has 3 and I (foolishly) only have one. I realized my 1 point would average us to 2 and drop his chances of a 100% draw. I wouldn't feel right about asking him to do that. Also, I am hoping that my Dad and I finally draw an elk tag this year anyway. We have max points. I could not find the post you are referring to although I have searched a couple of times. I may just be overlooking it.

Take care,
Steve

I hunted 34 this fall. all of the deer are in the NW conner of the unit. There are alot of two track roads all over the BLM ground, So be perpared to see alot of people road hunting. If you decided to hunt this unit shoot the first buck you see over 20". 34 is not a trophy unit, you will see alot of doe's and spike. I would hunt it again if I only had to use 2points but its not worth waiting any longer then that. I wouldn't be surpised if it took 4 points to draw 100% this coming fall.

Thought I had the regs figured out. I am looking at the 2011 deer regs and see that 34 has type 1,3, 6, /, and 8 with no mention of a "general" season. Archery season of Sept 1-30. So it would be my belief that only holders of those limited tags could bow hunt. Where am I missing that res general tag holders can bow hunt? Want to get this figured out in case ts the same for the area I plan to hunt. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-11 AT 07:20AM (MST)[p]I presume you're looking at the Nonresident Application Booklet that is specific for us foreigners, LOL! It's in Section 4 of the booklet specifying the special archery seasons. I did a C/P and here is your answer:
"Archers who possess resident general deer licenses or nonresident Region B general deer licenses may archery hunt any deer during the special archery season in limited quota Hunt Area 22. Archers who possess resident general deer licenses or nonresident Region E licenses may archery hunt any deer during the special archery season in limited quota Hunt Area 34."

PS: Gotcha on this one!!!

Yep, a nonresident could draw the Regional tag as a second or third choice, just like a resident can buy a general tag and hunt 34 during September. The nonresident would have to purchase the $30 archery permit to do that and the resident permit is much cheaper.

Mule deer numbers are low enough in 34 to make the archery hunt even more challenging than a lot of general hunts. I wouldn't let the LE thing fool you.

Thanks for posting that tagsoup. I don't know how I missed that one.

Topgun, that is the best info I have seen on the unit. Thanks for posting that up. I will pass it on to my friend. He has about a half dozen ideas for hunts and doesn't seem to be making any progress toward deciding what he is going to do!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom