Unit 36 1st rifle

AlwaysRuttin

Well I'm a non resident of new Mexico that was lucky enough to draw a first rifle tag. I'll be driving down from Washington a few days before the hunt. I'm wondering if anyone that has some experience with the unit can chime in with what the weather will be like. Where most of the outfitters mostly hunt. Diy for me. Availability of water up on the mountain is a concern. I have looked at maps and see springs and seeps, but will I be able to find them. I'd like to spike camp somewhere near the top for the whole hunt, just haven't narrowed it down to anywhere in particular yet. Any help would be appreciated. Good luck this year everyone.

The weather most years is low 30's in the am and into the 60's to low 70's at mid afternoon that time of year. The wind can blow HARD at times and a storm can show up any time....been caught in my share of rain and sleet up there.... you never know about mountain weather. A lot of outfitters have horses so they hunt a lot of different places. Horses are a big plus in this unit.

There are some small springs and seeps up high and along some trails. The springs flow pretty good at times depending on how much moisture we have had and it's looking like a really dry year , we had very little snow and it has only rained once since the first of March.

Best advice I can give you is to be in shape! It is some rough country here. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks jodog. So I would have thought it would have been a wet year over there with how rainy and snowy our winter has been. Man that's a bummer hearing nm didn't have a great snowpack. Well here's hoping for a wet spring and huge horn growth. By the way I've read the other threads and even though it's my first post it's not my first hunt. I appreciate your info and help others when I can. I mainly stay on other forums but being that I don't know anyone in NM I will take any help I can get. Again, thanks for the assistance.

Dumb question probably, are you talking elk or deer? I assume elk.

I would be really leary of planning on finding water up high. I have never planned on that unless I know I'm near a river or lake here in central NM or have recently scouted and found that source active.

Good luck, shoot me a PM.

Best advise to be in top shape, it is steep and deep. As stated above, a lot of people will be going in on horses but don't let that discourage you.

>Best advise to be in top
>shape, it is steep and
>deep. As stated above, a
>lot of people will be
>going in on horses but
>don't let that discourage you.
>

Yes I'm hearing be in shape. I'm humbled Everytime I step foot in a national Forest. Always seems like no matter how much I train it's just not enough. I'm definitely not discouraged by the outfitters, we know they gotta do there thing. Just wondering if they focus on certain areas more than others. I'm a bit of a lone wolf and try to stay out somewhere by myself if possible is all. Depending on if and where I get one I may try and have a packer lined up if anyone knows somebody. I have numbers to all the outfitters of nm website but would trust a good recommendation. Thanks barbarosa.

I have hunted it for deer and turkey, so I have only been in there in the winter/spring.

Don't overlook areas outside the wilderness. There are absolutely elk in the wilderness, but there's other places to check out also. There's roadless area above the race track that can hold elk. Cattle and drinkers along 443, can be elk all through that country. Found some heads w/ antlers cut off in the Hubbard canyon area. People may laugh at me for this, but I saw a ton of sign in the western part of Fort Stanton - more rubs than anywhere. I saw some big bulls on the backside of the rez in the three rivers area also. That may matter as to when they are doing hunts on the Rez - pressure there may push a few bulls off the edges - would be worth researching.

Once again all that information is valid in January and April, I have no idea if the elk are in there in Sep/Oct - but things to think about.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom