unit 4 first rifle elk...snow?

copple2

Hey guys,

I'm headed out to hunt northeast of Craig on the first rifle elk hunt this weekend, in unit 4. Does anyone know if there is still any snow on the ground up high? Or, how low the snow level has come down the mountain? Any heads up would be helpful.

Thanks,

copple2

Was just south of there on sunday at around 9,500 feet and there was around 4-6" on the south faces and 10-12" on the north sides. It has been fairly cool the last two days and with the forecast I will bet there will still be some at least on the north-facing slopes. Not sure how much if any fell at elevations higher than about 9500-10,000'.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-11 AT 10:11PM (MST)[p]Thanks solesearcher....I plan on hunting around 7000 feet in elevation, so I should be out of it.

copple2

Copple, where we hunt in 4, at 9,500 feet, the snow has moved the elk down twice in the last 15 years. It takes 2 feet or more. They seem to know the early snow won't last.

Good luck.

Califelkslayer,-

headed up there for 2nd season. Do you see many deer up high? Or are they out of the higher elevations at the first sign of snow? I'm pretty familiar with the lower country in that unit, but I've spent less time up on black mountain. What's your take on finding a good buck up there?

thanks in advance.

WH

I just hunted unit 4, between 8500-9000 feet. There is a trace of snow on the ground. Not enough to amount to much.

copple2

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom