Unit 40 elk

Mikey88

I know there is a lot of private land, and getting a guide is the way to go. I can't afford a guide and I'd like to get my first elk without out waiting another 5-10 years.

I have enough points for the 3rd or 4th season. Has anyone done this DIY and had a fun hunt?

I've been elk hunting twice before but never took a shot. A 300" would be a monster to me!

Thanks

I have done this hunt my self and with family and friends many times. No guide, public land, 95% success. Very limited area to hunt but has worked well for us.

I went 3rd rifle this year....it was clear blue sky's 65 degrees + the entire season...

Was tough, very tough!
I put on 50+ miles hiking, tag soup.

We were lucky to get my old man a bull, nothing special though.... was super special for us, just not a giant Elk.

The Elk we're stalled out on the north facing vertical oak brush hill sides.

The reason I choose 3rd, is it can get pretty miserable weather up there 4 the season and the season was longer.

I was in pretty decent physical condition, found out I didn't have the stamina for that long of a season. The first 1/2 of the season I was a hunting machine, the 2nd half I was pretty whooped. Nothing easy about this unit, at least the spots I know of.

4 th season may have been slightly better, but I've not really seen anything taken in the 4th.

Also- I've hunted that area several times, this year was the fewest animals I've seen, and absolutely the fewest "trophys" I've seen throughout the season, often you'll at least see some giants in the private fields.

Make sure you and all your equipment is in prime condition this area will put it all to the limits....
Outfitter, if you can afford one, yep good hunting ground, decent access to the animals= good success!

With that all being said, one of my favorite hunts I've had...

Good luck

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom