Unit 42 antelope ???

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I put in for this unit because of the draw odds. Lots of private. Quality isn't great. Unfortunately, I never thought I'd hunt Wy antelope so I didn't get points the first 2 years. This hunt is to get my girlfriend and her son started hunting big game so the question.

Does anyone know of private land we can get on for a reasonable tresspass fee??? I am aware of the "Access Yes" type access and will consider that too but would like a fallback spot. Planning on hunting later in the season because of a Colorado archery hunt.

Nobody has ever hunted 42?? or nobody knows of any private land that a guy can get onto for a trespass fee???

I definately won't be there for the opener. I'll be persuing my first love, elk.

Sorry, never hunted 42 but you may want to try this post on the antelope forum. You can't have any worse results than what you've had on the Wyoming forum!!

Steve

For antelope unit 42 I think you might want to call the Laramie office of WDFW - for the general number call 307-777-4600. I'm hunting unit a little north of you - this is my first trip to Wyoming for antelope I'm coming from Oregon. Anyway, I ended up calling the Sheridan office and talked to a real nice lady named Lori and she emailed me a list of ranchers that allow trespass hunting - but my list only includes units more to the north/central part of state. Give them a call they will email you the list for your specific area - so far they have been more than helpful. I also talked to Dan the bio - but again I think he is only for the Sheridan region.
Good luck on your hunt - I'm sure looking forward to going.
Oh and also give the local BLM office a call, they might be able to help.

Calielkslayer: you need to do just like the guy from Oregon said. Call the Game and Fish in Cheyenne and get the landowner list for Area 42. Then call everyone on the list. You should get a couple of yes answers if you are willing to pay a tresspass fee. I hunted Area 42 in 2006. It was mainly a meat hunt. I have been hunting in WY for the past 10 years and didn't draw my preferred area and I couldn't see myself driving 1600 miles to WY without hunting for a goat so I bought a leftover license in 42. I made the calls and had permission to hunt on a ranch for $300. At the last minute, I decided not to pay that much and I hunted the walk-in area # 12. I hunted the last week of the season since I was also deer hunting. I killed a small buck. The bigger ones were all shot off by that time. I talked with the rancher who owned the land in the walk-in area. He said the first couple of weeks that walk-in land got hammered. The day I hunted there, I saw one other hunter. If you are willing to make the calls you should be able to find some private land to hunt. I saw plenty of nice bucks on the private land south of the walk-in area driving in and out. Good luck.

Tim

Thanks for the info guys.

Searcher, your story is the reason for this post. Size doesn't matter (haven't we all heard that?) I just want them to get some shooting. With the elk commitment (13 Co PP's) I realize we're gonna be chasing scared goats and private may help them. Thanks.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom