Unit 42 Deer

S

SelwayPacker

I drew out for mule deer in unit 42 (November hunt). I've never been in the Owyhee area and could use some tips on where to hunt and camp. My research so far shows limited access with rough roads that are impassable when wet. I am very versatile, I'm equipped with anything from pack mules and wall tent to 5th wheel and quads. Sounds like getting a trailer into the unit may not be possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Getting a trailer into the unit is possible....you will more than likely have to setup camp near a main road...then hunt from there.
The side roads are usually pretty rough...and do get pretty sloppy when they get wet...but not impassable (depending on what part of the unit I should say)
My buddy drew 42 back in 02 or 03 and we seen lots of animals...nothing that he wanted to shoot....his dad did shoot at a 30" heavy 4 point on opening weekend (the only weekend that got any type of cold front/weather)
They did alot of driving and very little walking...I think with a little walking they might have been suprised as to what they might have found.
If you would like a little more info on some areas let me know....I have spent a little time in 42....mostly 40....but from time to time I venture over the border and see what is out there...you drew a good tag! Just might take a little patience during the hunt.
YB

Thanks YoungBuck! Yes, I would like a little more info on some areas. What ever you are willing to offer...best areas to hunt, best scenery, access roads (with trailer), where to park a camp trailer, etc. I am assuming it would be more productive to use an ATV to get around that country than a horse. You can pm me any info. Thanks!

support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon north east side of juniper mountain is one place i would spend a few days then the west side in the pole creek area.

Keep on top of the fire situation out there. There are several fires in that unit right now, I believe one is over 40,000 acres and on the southern end of Juniper mountain.

baltz526,

I looked into the areas you suggested and I think you gave me some good advise. I plan on scouting an area or two in September and I will most likely check out those areas. Thanks!

IDdesertman,

Thanks for the heads up. I found a website for the Tongue Complex fire. It looks like they have it about under control now. I might still have a partial unit to hunt. Thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom