Unit 44 Cow Elk Tag

DownThePipe

My Dad has a tag, and hasn't hunted the area since back in the 70's for elk, although we have hunted a little bit in 43- so we know the area a bit, and have done some scouting, although it's tough for us to gauge where the elk will be after the bull hunts and deer hunters are home. Can anybody give us any insight into this hunt, in terms of where we are likely to find elk on public ground depending on the weather conditions?

I personally know some people who live out there that I have helped in the past who might have some private flatland to hunt on but I am mostly wondering what people know about the public land and the Access Yes. We did a little driving/hiking up around Sheep Point and I know a little bit of the 43/44 divide to the North of Fairfield, but we haven't seen many elk in our scouting. Our knowledge of the migration patterns is limited.

Anyways, if anybody is willing to give us any information, then thanks in advance. If not, that's cool too- we'll see ya out there. We're just looking for some meat for the winter. Also, my dad's in his mid 60's and we don't have horses or snowmobiles- we will be limited to a pickup and our boots, so keep that in mind if you know where they hangout at 9000feet in 2 feet of snow. PM's work too.

Bumpin this to the top in case anybody wants to chime in seeing as there is finally some snow on the ground. Also, ANybody kill a nice bull?

Inlaws draw this tag every other year. They tag out every time to during this hunt. They mainly go access to private property which I do not recall the guys name but it is along the highway. Check out your maps for castle rock road and everything by the highway with foothills in between the two roads that go to Anderson ranch reservoir/pine. These are key places but you'll have to find the public property and glass it cause I'm a truck driver and don't have any maps with me right now but definitely would help if I was home in mtn home. I'll close with there always seems to be a bunch of elk in the area during the hunt. GOOD LUCK let me know if you got any questions and I'll try to help.

Was up today in a last ditch effort to fill my bull tag with no luck unfortunately. Did however see ~60 head of cows, calfs n spikes in cherry creek. But you'd probably be better off taking huntfish's advice or maybe tryin the other place I mentioned via PM as cherry creek can be a tough hike! Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Juan. I think we are probably going to start out hunting in the general area that you described to me last week on the phone- maybe a little to the northwest. We have talked to a few other people who have said that messing with the other areas is hoping that the elk are down low already, and it doesn't seem like there has been enough weather to really get them pushed out of the higher stuff.

I appreciate your help. If I had more time and more money I would have done more scouting...but that's the life of a guy with a pregnant wife and a shitty job...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom