Unit 44 deer question

Country

I was fortunate to draw a unit 44 deer tag. I have hunted unit 43 a lot and fairly familiar with the different terrain and country. What I am not familiar with is deer patterns and overall behavior in the unit. It is a long season and in speaking with the game warden he indicated if I had two weeks to hunt which I do he would suggest the first week and the last week. I’m not able to hunt the first week due to another deer hunt in Wyoming. My question is for anyone that has hunted it or is familiar with the unit what two weeks would you suggest, the last two? Or, should I do what I can to remain flexible and wait for first snow in high country and hunt with the hopes that the deer will start migrating? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You talk to Trevor (warden)up there? He knows his way around. I’d probably hunt the last two weeks. I know where’d I focus personally but just covering as much ground and glassing as possible. From what I heard from some locals last year wasn’t great but it could have been they held up higher longer. It’s a great tag and a really fun place to hunt. Get a sxs and just stay in the hills

I would hunt the first week, and the last week for sure, and if you have time spend at least 5 days scouting the week before opener!

Those bucks have been known to cross the highway early with weather. I’d scout early and hunt early. Then hunt late as plan B lol.

Thanks for the responses. I will spend us much time as I possibly can. I drew Wyoming g tag as well this year and decided to with an outfitter there and my hunt is locked up in Wyoming from 9/15-9/19. Will probably get to Idaho by end of September.

hunted it when season started 0ct 5 and ran into November. Killed my buck opening after finding him a couple days before season. Had some friends draw a couple years later and the opted to go late and could not find anything as weather had pushed them out. If I had tag I would be there opener or as close as I could cause there are deer there already. I'm sure some move through with weather but that's always a gamble. If you go early you can always come back as well at the end.

My friend drew this tag a few years ago. We hunted early and then were gonna go back late if needed. Ended up killing a buck on day two. Go find some glassing points, and as was mentioned get yourself a 4 wheeler or a side by side.

I’d find a farmer who will let you shoot one out of their hay fields, I’ve seen some monsters in 44, but not usually in the hills as often as they are on the flat farm fields around Fairfield

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom