Unit 44 Elk

LookinFor30

Hello all, my mid 70's father finally drew an elk tag. The later of the two rifle tags in 44.
He's in relatively good shape but says this is his last hunt....sad to say. What kind of bulls should he be targeting in this unit given his age and lower mobility compared to most young hunters. First bull that presents himself?? He'd like a branch bull but won't be overly picky.

I've thought about the unit for my grandpa. Don?t run him ragged with elevation change. There are a number of roads you could take to gain elevation then stay up high and get away from roads in elk country a mile or two. It's great habitat with good elk numbers so you don't need to work your tail off though there will be guys in there before you hunting deer and elk that will move things around some so not a slam dunk either.

For next year, start talking him into late cow tags. My grandpa and I have enjoyed that. He doesn't care about the hunting so much but it's fun and a good experience.

It was a tough winter on those Big mature bulls in 44, quite a few didn't make it. There will be a lot of hunting already going on , if you guys have an opportunity at a branch antler Bull I would take it. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom