Unit 44 third season?

YBO

Long Time Member
How many points did it take for a non resident to draw the third season tag this year? Thank you.

I drew 3rd season with 5 points in 04 as a non Resident. Point creep has jumped a lot everywhere. It can be good if you get weather.

Does anyone have any idea how much a Unit 44 3rd or 4th season land owner tag would cost?

One non resident drew that tag last fall with 18 points. 3 other non residents drew with 19 or more points. Only 4 NR tags available for that hunt.

"Does anyone have any idea how much a Unit 44 3rd or 4th season land owner tag would cost?"

If I had to guess it would be 10K+

I wonder what that 20k got that hunter ?
Does anyone have any pics of what this unit can produce in a 3rd-4th season hunt ?

Take a look at what Garth Carter and his son Jason killed in there and it will tell you. That unit has some of the best genetics in the world. Not that i condone the guy but Mike Brownlee " Muley Connection " runs hunts out of there, look him up.

All brownlee does is kill bucks off the red sky ranch golf course south of wolcott.. Yes 44 has great bucks and has great genetics but it is no walk in the park on a given year. If the weather works in your favor it can be fantastic though. Helped a good friend in the third season this past year and the first 6 days i could hardly find a buck, even with being a local and having a good understanding of the unit. Snow finally showed up late in the season and the bucks came out of the wood work and we finally put it together on the last day.

Coloradoboy

Cole, has there been a significant winter kill in 44 or 35 so far this year? Thanks

Honestly I can't tell yet. I haven't seen as many deer on the winter range as I did last year. However I haven't been out and about as much as I'd like. The past few weeks have been much nicer compared to the brutal winter we've had thus far. Hopefully the bucks pulled through those tough months of December and January. The shed season will be a tell tale sign of how many deer survived via dead heads.

Coloradoboy

His buck is nothing to write home about. 170ish or so. Took him the last day, 5 minutes of light left while walking back to the truck. Long story short he hit a high 190ish to low 200 inch deer two days before and we worked tireless to try and find him an never did. Only found 1 drop of blood in two days of looking. I won't post the picture without his permission first.

Coloradoboy

If you get permission I would love to see it. I have enough points to draw fourth, just weighing my options.

I have hunted unit 44 3rd season about 10 times. It can be very frustrating if you don't get the snow to push em down. When you do get enough snow the animals show up but the big boy's are still not easy to kill. Still it can be a great hunt.

Julius

I have killed some nice bucks. I don't think I ever went home skunked. Maybe once. A good friend of mine that took me in 1985 has killed several over 30" bucks in his group. I have seen several monster bucks but never killed one. I hunted it when it was an over the counter tag. Then after that hunted it when it took about 3 points. I have not gone since 2004.

You have any pictures? Would love to see them. You can pm me if you would rather do that.
Thanks Elkhuntr

Sure come on over and I will pull out my albums and show you. I wish I knew how convert them so I can put them on line.

Julius

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom