Unit 45 - Elk bowhunt

martinc

I'm planning my first ever bowhunt for elk, and I've selected unit 45 in New Mexico, in the Pecos Wilderness. I will hunt with 2 friends, we're all first timer. I'm training hard to be ready, will get packed in on horses, then we plan to backpack and remain mobile to go after the elk. We expect to see elk, the success rate is usually around 30%, but we know getting one will be tough for beginners like us. It would be a bonus really.

If anybody is willing to share tips for this area, please PM me

It's a real good area with plenty of elk. Push yourself to get in tip top shape , the air gets thin up there , so the better shape you are the more you will set yourself up for success. The bow hunt is great , but as normal with elk , it all really is dependant on the rut and once the cows start to come into estrus , it's like a switch goes off.It's always the season when it comes to working your calls , so I'd say keep a cow call with you and practice as much as possible.....shoot ur bows , blow ur calls and work ur bodies out galore , its a great unit with great elk...

martinc, let us know how you do. I've applied for that unit the last 2 years but muzzy and rifle. With horses I want a unit I can draw regularly and learn versus a lottery type hunt. Anyways, my plan hasn't worked out so well yet (no tag)

I applied 1st rifle this year as I'll be deer huntin in WY during the muzzy season. Good luck!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom