Unit 45 elk help

Robiland

Very Active Member
Hey guys, earlier this week I found out I drew the unit 45 for elk. Ive read and done some "internet" scouting but hope to get some help or pointers on where to start scouting when I go. I plan on doing the archery hunt, then go back if needed. I am a DIY with family and friends. I cant afford a guide to go into the wilderness. So I am planning on giving it all I got when the time comes. Ive contacted 1 guy who has hunted this area and has given me some good advice, but I am open for more:)

I think as of right now, I will try to focus on Tensleep area and Deer Haven lodge and Meadowlark(?) lake. Its an 8 hr drive for me, and I have to use my time off work wisely.

If any of you have any other advice or suggestions, I am all ears.
Thanks in advance to any of you that might be kind willing to help!!

Landon

For the most part your hunting starts at Deer Haven and goes north and east. From what I saw the times I was there the elk were everywhere I really think it's going to be hard to pick one spot that is any better than another. I do know the bow hunters were in Baby Wagon and Sitting Bull pretty hard.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-14 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]You won't actually be near TenSleep itself. I'd concentrate on going up in above Meadowlark Lake and to the west a mile or two all the way up to TenSleep Lake, as well as the country northeast of the lake over and up to the wilderness boundary line where 440 mentioned.

That's a fun area take my wife a kids up there a few times a year and if the weather is right you can see a few hundred head from the road. Don't know the guy real well, but his daughter had the tag last year and he said that 350-370 is what he thought they could get her on... she shot a 378" the first morning, but I don't know what area they were in just that it wasn't in the wilderness. Good luck you'll do just fine.

Thanks for the responses this far. Very helpful! GODEEP, you just got me a LITTLE EXCITED!!! Thanks!!!

I know nothing about the unit so can't help there. This is one of the units I'm interested in though for next year and we wanted to check it out sometime this year before we apply. If interested, I may be up for helping you scout this year if you're open to that. Can't guarantee it at this point but thought I'd ask as I hate to draw an area without seeing it! PM me if you'd like.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the nice guys on here that have pointed my in some type of direction or where to start.
Ive got some info on areas to check out from guys on here and hope to make it out in a few weeks to check it out. Any others tips would be nice.

Thanks to all and good luck hunting this year!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-14 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]I have never hunted the area but as mentioned before you want to get above tensleep. After you go through the swithbacks. from the top of the switchbacks to the tensleep the elk winter in that area. But some still hang back. If it is extremely hot I would be in the deep dark timber for bowhunting.

Robiland here is a few sheds we picked up out of unit 45 this spring. I've been up there twice this summer and it's looking like you'll have a good time. Be patient and enjoy.
1186elk_horns.jpg

Thanks for the info and the pics. Just makes it harder for me now:) Now I have to think even more about whats to come. Should be fun.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom