Unit 45 Elk Hunt

woody622

Just would like some advice. My dad is one point away from max points and is ready to hunt WY for elk this year. We've done a ton of research, and Unit 45 has stood out more than any other unit, and looks like okay odds to draw as NR. We'd love to DIY, but wouldn't turn down a good outfitter. Is it a good time/unit to burn the pts and hunt this unit this year? Thanks guys!

It's a good hunt, but not a trophy hunt in my opinion. if you'd be happy with a 220-320 bull go for it. bigger ones are taken every year but don't count on it.

You can DIY it pretty easy if the weather and everything cooperate, if they don't and most of the elk are in the wilderness area as a NR it's off limits to you. I'd say your chances are good DIY, they're great with an outfitter.

If you use an outfitter call Rusty Boogers with A Double J in Buffalo. he's as good as they come and his success is outstanding. if you need to go into the Cloud Peak he has the stock and that's where you'll go, if you don't he knows where the elk are.

Stay thirsty my friends

Ditto what 440sixpack said! Other than going on a real expensive guided hunt at a place like Wagonohound, that would be the place to go IMO. There are good numbers and a decent amount of good bulls with a chance at a top end one and a lot of that obviously depends on weather and sheer luck. It's gorgeous country to visit even if your Pop doesn't kill a 350" or better monster. Going guided with the outfit 440 mentioned and going into the wilderness should greatly increase your chance at a bigger bull if they haven't come down out of there by the time the season opens.

We applied for 45 this year. We are 4 non-residents with 7 points also. I have seen more and more press on this unit as of late. Last years odds were 42% for our point group. I suspect the odds are going to get worse not better. Still with Wyomings generous non-resident cap on tags I am hopeful we will draw. Its going to be a long month. It would be nice to have my fall hunts planned by the end of February. We plan on bow hunting for 10 days, if we are unsuccessful my wife and I will return for the rifle season. Good luck in the draws.

You'll know before the end of February if you drew. My guess is just about what you're figuring and that is that you will have no better odds that what the 6PP pool did last year that had 42% chance. That's still not too bad and at least it's the first draw and results out anywhere so you can make other plans if not successful.

If I were to hunt it again DIY, I'd stay at Deer Haven lodge. the last time I was there they were fixing the cabins up and it's plenty close to the hunting. I'd hunt the last part of the season so it can get rough weather, and a cabin would be nicer than a tent if I have to do all the work.

Stay thirsty my friends

Two years ago when they were doing all the road work up near the Lodge some of the workers were staying at the RV park next to us in TenSleep. They were hearing bulls bugling right from the worksite the last half of September! Lets hope if you draw the tag that you don't have to stay at the lodge.

Having never set foot in the area I don't have a feel for where things are and what the country is like. I have looked at basic maps but haven't checked out google earth yet. I don't want to get to excited until the tag is in my pocket.

Thanks for the advice all! Nice thing about it as before mentioned we find out in Feb if we drew or not.. here in Utah we get to wait till a week before the hunt.. basically ;)

When I was in there the first part of October the elk were everywhere, all along the hiway was as good as anywhere. the second time in late October the elk were higher and more herded up. I'm not sure how much was from the rut ending and how much was from hunting pressure.

I don't think there is anyplace you couldn't find elk so don't get too hung up on that. and the biggest bull I saw ( we were hunting moose at that time ) in the unit was right above Lilly Lake about a 1/4 mile from the hiway.

Stay thirsty my friends

Is the non wilderness area very good for elk, as far as quality and quantity? That is where I hope to hunt if I draw, since I am a Non Res. Any help would be nice, thanks!

I think that depends on when you're there, and what you call quality.

Stay thirsty my friends

I plan on archery hunting. If I dont get it done, I will go back.
Quality i see as good amount of bulls and a good chance at 330 type bulls or bigger if possible.

I've only been there twice, but from what I've seen in bow season the elk will be on the hiway, literally. later on you may have to look harder, at the end they may move back down.

I would say 330 is very doable and bigger is possible. that said, I think if you hold out for 330 you should be prepared to eat tag soup. there are a lot of elk, but not that many 330 and better. but isn't that the case most places.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks! In reality, any 6 point bull will do for me. But 330+ would be whip cream and nuts on an already perfect sundae.
I've had 2 limited entry archery elk tags for Utah with TAG SOUP. There were many factors, year 1 my choice, year 2, not my choice. So this begged will not be picky!!!

I was there 2 years ago, NR DIY solo archery. It's a big unit, and very popular with hikers in Sept, and resident hunters after 9/15. What freaked me out are the boulder fields. I'm talking Volkswagen size boulders and bigger. Not the safest thing to cross, especially alone (or in bad weather).

Watch out for the sheep dogs near the pass on 16. I only saw 1 deer outside the truck all week too, so that was odd. Saw some elk, didn't get a shot at any. It wasn't the best hunt I've been on, or the worst. If you have the itch to burn points then now is a good time as the points needed keep creeping up.

WY would do better with weapon specific tags, too many get the type 1 and hunt both seasons, which doesn't help the archery hunt, or the odds of drawing a type 1 tag.

It'll be interesting to see what the draw odds do in 45. As has been mentioned 45 has been getting a lot more press. Thats often the kiss of death. When the Wyoming "recommendations" / blue chip units" come out in Huntin' Fool and Eastman's I always hope that the units I'm interested in aren't on the list.

Odds will be tougher now that they got hyped up by people who have likely never set foot in the units. How genius of Eastmans to hype a unit they don't apply for so odds are better for the units they hunt. HF had that huge push for the general tags and how great they were. Yeah they got great bulls but they also had good outfitters putting them on animals unlike the average DIY hunter.

Not hating on either company as they have to sell subscriptions and ads. I'm like a lot of you though that get that sinking feeling when a unit I like shows up in the magazines.

I agree, they do this to divert attention away from their honey holes to increase their odds. Also when I read their suggestions for those units that I an familiar with they are not very accurate, which means I won't pay much attention to their advice for those areas I don't know. You are likely wasting your points if this is the only advice you follow.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom