Unit 45 guided or unguided ?

jbendy

HI all, was wondering if a guy can hunt 45 with a realistic chance of a 330 bull DIY, or should I hire a guide. Thanks in advance, I'm a nonresident.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-15 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]You didn't mention whether you're talking hunting it in September with a bow or in October during the rifle season. What tag did you put in for, the Type 1 or 9? 45 gets a lot of Type 1 guys that then buy the archery permit that's good for the last half of September. The first two weeks in September when it's only the Type 9 tag guys is better from what I've seen up through last season when I was there. When you go makes a big difference in your expectations of even taking a bull of any decent size and I favor the early bow hunt for a good bull and there are a good number in 45, but they get quiet the further into the rut it gets and finding them in the rifle hunt can be tough like it is in many units. If I had the cash and the 45 tag with no experience in the unit, I'd go with a guide up into the wilderness area in September for a really fun hunt. If you are only going to hunt with a rifle in October I'd definitely go with a guide to get away from others on horseback whether it's up in the real high wilderness if the bulls are still up there or even down lower to cover territory because it's a huge unit with an awful lot of good areas to explore. The knowledge that a guide would have would be worth quite a bit if you draw that tag with as many PPs as it takes now. That's my take on 45 and others may differ. If my friend from Ohio draws his Type 9 tag, I'm going out to help him there the first two weeks of September, as it's some absolutely gorgeous country and even better that time of the year.

I would say you have a chance as a 330+ bull on your own. a better chance with a good outfitter. I suppose it's just a matter of what it's worth to you.

I hunted DIY the last week of season and let the snow bring the elk down and some of the yahoos had gone home. by rifle season you've pretty much missed the rut anyway so what's the big hurry, every year is different though.

After a couple elk hunts and a moose hunt in the area I have the opinion most hunters overestimate the quality it offers. so if you really want a 330+ I'd say the outfitter advantage should be a serious consideration.

Stay thirsty my friends

IMO, having a guide in 45 makes a huge difference. Much bigger than most elk hunts in the West.

Partner and I drove 26 hours to 45 a few years back and I hunted all of an hour and fifteen minutes before I put a 330 bull on the ground during archery season. Took a couple more days and my partner shot an average 6pt, seemed kinda of funny when the local biologist came by and thought a 20% kill rate was good for the area. I'm sure a lot of luck went into our hunt, but a good bull is possible DIY. All that being said, if 330 or better is what your after, I'd get an outfitter. Seems like an outfit called Painted Rock or something close hunts that area.

I would not hire a guide. I just had this tag, type 1 and bought the archery permit. I killed a 310" bull on day 3 of my hunt. If you have the time and patience, there is no difference in hiring a guide. The elk will be there. You just need to be there or get there. Way fun hunt, I want to go back and do it again. If you have a few buddies that can go and have anyone that can call for you, you should be fine. Now, with the rifle only hunt, alot depends on the weather. So, if it is JUST RIFLE only, those bulls could be anywhere from A to Z on that mountain, so maybe worth the $, but I wouldnt, just me though.

If you decide on going guided, another one is Bighorn Outfitters. I talked to him in January and the new owner guided for A Double J outfitters for 7 years then bought the business, and lives right in the area. No personal experience but I'm sure he knows the area well.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom