Unit 48 Muley

Rnm5

Hey guys wanna say thanks for some advice on unit 56. I think im going to switch efforts to camp and scout 48 west of ketchum. It might not hold a ton of bucks from what ive read but looks pretty up there. I appreciate it.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-19 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p]If you're looking for pretty country and not many bucks, set your sights a little higher and hit the Sawtooths around Stanley.

For a new guy Id start somewhere that has more critters and wasn?t pounded by the 2017 winter and where there's typically more critters. That's usually more southern Idaho than Central Idaho. Talk to bios and look at Fish and games website to research.

But strictly for scenery Central Idaho is great?Sawtooths, White Clouds, Seven Devils, Salmon River Mountains.

Just find your spot and roll with it. Online you'll just get a bunch of conflicting opinions. How you hunt is more important than where you hunt.

You are smart, but if you come to Ketchum, make sure you wear your first lite so you can blend in with the other meat eaters that are hunting a unit that is way over hunted. Not to steer you wrong, but if you dig a little deeper you can get away from the crowds and find game. This area has been heavily affected by social media.

I just found a thread saying some company moved in up there and since its become a madhouse. Yes I think I will focus 56 and just start putting in for controlled hunts in future. Thanks I appreciate it. Coming from AZ where they limit tags to like 400 a unit to now Utah where they allow everyone to hunt its nuts. Im not anti social but man cant see how to hunt when literally few hundred yards bumping into people. Sad too that half of the guys out there arent even really hunting anymore. More less driving 30 minutes a day then enjoying a campfire. Sorry for the rant lol. Thanks everyone and super stoked to see Idaho been a dream of mine.

I agree with Hawkbilll 100%. I live in 48 and I got a whitetail tag for the year. There?s just hardly any bucks over 2 1/2 years old. The mule deer are over hunted and need a break

I appreciate the info. I agree it should be given a break if it has great genetics. Same thing happened in my home state to the Kaibab in AZ. Game and Fish took advantage of the craz their. Use to be alot of 190 to 210 bucks roaming there. Now they brag if they see a 165 to 170. Pretty sad. I will stay down lower and I appreciate the info.

And if anyone has any useful unit 56 info please pm me if your willing. Not looking for direct spots as I dont believe in not putting in my own hardwork but if there are sections to go to or stay away from id appreciate it. Thanks and good luck this year!

Putting "Unit 48 Muley" in the title doesn't help the situation any. Keep unit numbers out of these threads, and ask questions privately.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-19 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]I apologize. Sorry for that as I can see your point. Kinda new to forum thing.

If I may ask though how does it hurt to put the unit in the title? Id think maybe others see it and would veer away from the unit too which could help the situation?

>You are smart, but if you
>come to Ketchum, make sure
>you wear your first lite
>so you can blend in
>with the other meat eaters
>that are hunting a unit
>that is way over hunted.
>Not to steer you wrong,
>but if you dig a
>little deeper you can get
>away from the crowds and
>find game. This area has
>been heavily affected by social
>media.

+1

Some of those dudes are willing to backpack in 5 miles to blast forkies for the experience. And to eat their lungs and the tongue.

If it's all negative it won't. But 95% of the time its positive information, that's why it sucks there now. I would say pointing at any particular unit has been bad for the hunting. I realize you aren't doing this on purpose, just be careful about how you word things. It really has had a big impact on units.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom