Unit 48

idabigbuck

I am thinking about trying a new unit (to me) and was hoping someone with knowledge of this unit could impart some wisdom on me! I am very familiar with 39 and could share if interested. I have some specific questions so please PM me.

Thanks,
Idabigbuck

48 is big country with a ton of shell rock slides it almost seems like the whole mountain is made from loose shell rock. Unfortunately from what I've seen the deer got hit extremely hard from the winter in 2016 making the hunt harder then ever. 48 was already a hard unit with all the people but if you were willing to hike you could find yourself away from other hunters and in some deer. Last I was out and after deer was 2017 and you could definitely tell the winter kill was bad on the deer. Good luck keep us updated on your hunt.

Sray, thanks for the info. I definitely don't mind leaving some tracks on the mountain to get away from others.

Just got back from hunting Unit 48 with a buddy and we ended up getting a buck each. Nothing big. We started high (7500') and didn't cut a track in the fresh snow for more then a day. Changed up and went to the lower end of the unit at around 5000' and that's where we got into them. They seem to be moving already to the flat lands.

Hey Ramrod,
Nice job on being flexible and adapting. Congrats on the harvest! Would love to see the pictures. Post em up!

My experience with 48 is there are so many people hunting and just recreating even 4 miles from the truck that you might as well be in 43 or 39........ I guess that's just my experience though. The concept of hiking to get away from the crowds is becoming less and less possible since every one thinks the same thing. If anything choose thicker country that most people won't hunt, doesn't even have to be far in. Hunting thick country is almost unfathomable to the modern day mule deer glassing long range crowd.

Interesting thought! Mix it up if you're not seeing the deer. It's so hard to hunt the thick stuff, because when your in their bedroom they have all the advantages. They can hear you and scent you before you can locate them. Thanks for the input!

Idabigbuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom