Unit 49 elk 1st rifle?

hunter

I am looking at this unit as a nonresident. I am just curious if you think I could be into some elk from a camp. I am not much of a back packer, I don't have horses so I would be trying to do it on day hikes from camp. I have 10 points so I think I am most likely still a year away from drawing. I have never been in this unit but from what I have found it sounds like some steep country. I will be 50 years old and would like to have a fun hunt, not really trying to to take a huge bull.
Any info or thoughts would be great. Thanks

I researched this unit pretty hard in times past, and given your restrictions, I think it would most likely be a waste of your points. You might get lucky, but this is a unit you would need to go deep to have a decent chance of success on a good bull. If I were in your place, and decided to hun that unit, I would figure out a way to hire an outfitter to pack me in at least to a drop camp.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Honestly 49 first rifle is no cake walk. Its much better archery/muzzy from experience of personally hunting it and being on hunts archery through 2nd rifle. Typically what occurs first rifle; majority of the elk will be staged up at or above treeline. After the first couple shots go off opening day they will bail off into the timber and will be standing right off highway 24 or 285 on the private by day 3. So if you're serious about a 49 first rifle tag; get in the best possible shape you can. You will be hunting at close to or above 12k feet. Secondly, get there a week in advance if possible. Your hunt will be the week of scouting. If you dont kill opening day it gets tougher and tougher every day afterwards to locate elk.

Coloradoboy

>Honestly 49 first rifle is no
>cake walk. Its much better
>archery/muzzy from experience of personally
>hunting it and being on
>hunts archery through 2nd rifle.
>Typically what occurs first rifle;
>majority of the elk will
>be staged up at or
>above treeline. After the first
>couple shots go off opening
>day they will bail off
>into the timber and will
>be standing right off highway
>24 or 285 on the
>private by day 3. So
>if you're serious about a
>49 first rifle tag; get
>in the best possible shape
>you can. You will be
>hunting at close to or
>above 12k feet. Secondly, get
>there a week in advance
>if possible. Your hunt will
>be the week of scouting.
>If you dont kill opening
>day it gets tougher and
>tougher every day afterwards to
>locate elk.
>
>Coloradoboy

I don't give information on where to hunt. However, I live 2 minutes from unit 49 and disagree with your information.

I disagree with the comments of the terrain being rough. I have been hunting 49 my entire life and there are definitely areas of the unit that you can get a decent bull (not a trophy), without breaking your back. In fact, there are roads that get you to timberline and you can hike down from there.

Thanks for for the help. I guess just like any hunt it pays to have some knowledge of the unit. But I do not.
I know I am too late for this year but I have put some thought into a drop camp, but again not sure where as I just don't know anything about Colorado elk.
If any of you had 10 points as a nonresident, is there a better option than 49?? Rifle or muzzy. Where would you look for a drop camp? I did look at the late hunts in unit 20 by Estes park but it looks like tons of private. Maybe a drop camp in this area on a early hunt might be good.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks again.

If it were me, I'd wait a year to get your 11 points and then try to get the muzzy tag. Looks like u may could draw it with 11. And the dates for muzzy are much better for 2019 like twice as good! U could maybe also draw 67 on the muzzy tag or unit 12? I don't know much about 12 but 67 has some rough country as well like 49. My opinion is the muzzy hunt would be more fun due the better dates next yr and rutting action

A week after that would be my best pick. Possibly cooler and still in the rut. I hate the heat in Sept. Even at 12,000ft.

It will be next year, it is too close to applying and I am to undecided to pick a unit or weapon for that matter. Your opinion sure help. Thanks.

>Next yr muzzy dates btw are
>14-22th. Not sure u could
>pick better dates!

Only fly in the ointment is full moon on the 14th.

NR points will jump more this year than they ever have in 1 year (IMO). Reason: basically free to apply now, no big payment billed until tags are drawn.

I don't think it will affect odds or point creep that much. Mostly just the units that can be drawn for 0 currently. Guys that already have 8 or 10 points would apply regardless of the costs. So I see it having little impact besides the 0-2 point tags.

I do know of several people who will now start to apply since it is cheap. Well, not really that cheap. For those that want to start collecting points for just deer and elk, it will cost $96. $16 now and $80 later. For those smart enough to buy an annual fishing license before they apply, it will still be $72

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>NR points will jump more this
>year than they ever have
>in 1 year (IMO). Reason:
>basically free to apply now,
>no big payment billed until
>tags are drawn.

Yeah how will that effect point creep. The new guys will be 12 pts behind so not sure it is gonna hurt anything for a few years.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom