Unit 5 Routt Nat. Forest HELP NEEDED!!!

W

woodtick

Hey Guys,
Me and the old lady drew 3rd season tags for deer in this area,
my only option is to hunt the Routt Nat. Forest, and holy hell is it thick. Being a high country and sage desert hunter i'm at a serious disadvantage, there is no where to glass in this place cause its so thick, and i don't know where or how to hunt black timber. has any one ever hunted this unit before or black timber before and are willin to help me out. thank heaven i didn't burn my points.
i will gladly take any advice!!
Thanks
WHACK'N & STACK'N
SHOOT STRAIGHT SHOOT TRUE
THE WOODTICK

WT,

You are right, that part of the country has its thick areas! My recommendation: Stay northeast of California Park and west of the divide, close to the Wyoming border and you may have some luck. Usually (from years past) by 3rd season rifle, most animals have already migrated down to the lower elevations (5500-7000ft), which consists mainly of private ground. There are many big bucks in the northern reaches of unit 5, although they are big for a reason and they require patience and stealth. There are few areas of open range glassing up there though, while the timber and Three Forks Ranch 40,000 private acres can make it difficult to boot. Hope this helps.

Colo_archer

Hey,
Thanks i appreciate any and all the help i can get, i did see a couple bucks during a rain storm last week that would definately go 180 plus! hopefully it doesn't dump 2 ft of snow before the hunt opens?

WHACK'N & STACK'N
SHOOT STRAIGHT SHOOT TRUE
THE WOODTICK

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom