Unit 50 2nd Rifle

E

Elktex

Hey guys. I drew 50 2nd rifle as my third choice. Went up there a few weeks ago and found elk in several places, but wasn't able too look at all the spots I wanted to scout. Found elk on the Northern mountains Pot, Chiflo, but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that by the second rifle hunt all the pressure will have moved most of the elk out of that part of the unit. There is one area in particular I'm very interested in, that being the BLM land West of Ojo Caliente. Looks like lots of rough country between Ojo Caliente and El Rito that could hold elk. Has anyone ever hunted it? Any suggestions?

"BLM land West of Ojo Caliente. Looks like lots of rough country between Ojo Caliente and El Rito that could hold elk." That area is 51, 50 is east of highway 285 to the Rio Grande Gorge. If you meant 51 then Yes, there are Elk there but we hunted that area last season and weather had them up in the high country until Dec. It depends on the weather and hunting pressure. So as of now I would say Elk are up in the high country. Most of the 51/52 Elk stayed up high and never really migrated low enough. Good Luck!

I'm looking at the unit map for 50, and it extends west of 285 all the way to hwy 554 at El Rito. My hunting maps GPS software also reflects hwy 554 as being the southern boundary. I'm specifically talking about the section between 285 and 554 if that helps.

In that southern part of the unit hwy 554 is the western boundary, but further north it is hwy 285. The area Elktex mentions is unit 50. http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/unitmaps/documents/high_res/GMU50.pdf

Elktex-- I had that same hunt last year. You are right in assuming that the big northern peaks get the most attention.
Lots of road hunters and ATVs. I found elk nearby, but in overlooked areas and by hiking away from the roads.

Have looked into the area you mentioned, but never scouted it. Looking over the maps and air photos, I couldn't see much surface water other than the creek near Ojo, but private lands become a problem. Might be able to catch them moving between areas-- just a thought.

I've been hunting 50 for awhile and never saw that extension that far west.Hmmm. interesting. Sorry can't help you with that area but unit 50 does hold a decent resident herd,nothing too big, but for meat it's good. It's hit and miss in the Northern areas with road hunters/ATV's but down where you are looking try across 285 as well. The weather/pressure is bound to do just about anything with the resident herds

Just glad to have a tag this year, so any bull will do. If I find a good one it will just be a bonus.

50 is a tough unit to hunt with all the roadies. We've managed to get at least one bull for the last 3 years, but it's been a hassle. Last year I sat a pretty consistent water hole on opening morning, only to see a couple guys drive right up to it and jump out to take a wizz. WTH? You might be OK if you get away from the roads down south. We got disgusted last year and decided to put in for different units. 50 is a "go ugly early" unit, but you still wake up with a hangover asking yourself why you did that LOL! I'm not aware of any access to the area west of 285, but we didn't try to research it too much, either.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom