unit 50 elk

IDoutdoors

My brother got lucky and drew 50-1 bull elk. My dad and I both drew 50-2 cow elk(Dec 1-15th). I've only hunted deer in this unit a long time ago. Wondered if anyone had any starting points I could check out for either the bull hunt or cow hunt when I go scouting up there.( The bull hunt covers all of unit 50 and the cow hunt covers some of the unit) What caliber of bull should he expect for this unit? I guess the cow hunt is weather dependent? Thanks for any help in advance.... (I don't want any honey holes just some general info)

Good luck to everyone
Brian

I archery hunt up there for the past 5 years. might switch this year, we usaully go for 3 or 4 day weekends because your too tired to hunt more than 3 or 4 days.
We get a bull every year between the 2 of us. Seen some good ones, problem is 1 weekend we will see 100 elk, next weeekend we cant see 1 elk.
Not sure if the wolves push them around or the hunters but they go deeper then we can hike for the day. we keep talking about hiking in our camp but havnt done it yet.
Its steep rough country so try and get horses and you should be able to fins a nice 6pt. I would not hold out for a 330 you might not find him.

There are too many campgrounds, trails, and easy access around Starhope. I wouldn't even waste your time. Too many people flock to easy access and trails.

Too many hunters are looking for an easy kill these days. Get away from the atv's, truck, and the tails to be successful. Scout hard / hunt hard.

Please get a new map from BLM in Mackay so you know where the roads are closed. A lot of Douche bags rip out the markers and try to play dumb but it is YOUR responsibility to know where the road is closed. Last year we hiked way back in and when we came out that afternoon there was one set of wheeler tracks. I couldn't believe someone would blatantly drive past my truck at the end of the road and go another mile and a half. All I could do to not cut all 4 tires. Stopped them at my truck when they came out and tried to explain but they tore off before I could say much.

Summit,
Thanks for the advise. I am planning on getting a map. We're you elk hunting? Did you see many deer or elk? Any ideas where to look for an elk ( general areas of the unit) ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom