Unit 51 Archary Elk 2nd season

lovehunting

Guys,

Thanks for all the help with the game cams. Going out soon to put them up. Looking at going into north east side of the unit on rd 111, I am little concerned about some of the comments on theft in the unit. Is this a good area to be far enough away from thieves? Has anyone hunted this area? If so what can I expect as far as number of elk and pressure? Feel free to PM me. I can offer help with other units if you need, 52,15,9,2b.

Thanks,

Jack

>Don't let the posts deter you
>from hunting areas you want.
>
>Keep your camp secure and you'll
>be good to go!

I agree, and it will not deter me, was just curious if part of the unit was worse then other parts.

I camped right on 111 a few miles in deer hunting 2 seasons ago.

Never knew about all the theft issues at the time but we never had any issues. We had 2 vehicles and hunted out of 1 so there was always at least 1 at camp which maybe deterred people from coming in?

Obviously we always kept our rifles and optics with us but it would have been easy for someone to take off with a bunch of miscellaneous stuff (gun cases, camping equipment, etc) if they wanted too.

Ended up hunting all over the North end of the unit and then taking a deer within a mile of camp on one of our last nights up there. Go figure.

No worries. Not sure if you're familiar with the area but hit up the chili line (or something like that at least) general store/cafe in tres piedras. The 2 ladies that run it are really nice and cook up some good food!

We stumbled on it our first day trying to find a new glass piece for our lantern and ended up heading there everyday for a snack after our morning hunt.

Good luck with the hunt!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom