Unit 52 Cruces Wildeness-Brazos Ridge

crcountry

My buddy and I just acquired UW MZ tags in Unit 52 for the up-coming Oct 2012 season.

I've read no less than 100 posts from several hunting forum sites and everyone suggests that unit 52 is a great hunt with awesome country and plenty of medium sized bulls....we're pretty jacked up.

(5) Questions:

-Does the Cruces Wilderness have as many people spiked out as some posts suggest? I would think that a backpack hunt deep into those drainages would get you away from 90+% of the hunters? Some posts suggest lots of pressure there?!?

-What are the real chances of fowl weather (Snow) on 10/5-10/10/12? with these last few warm/dry years it seems like a low chance, but I'd gather anything can happen at 10,000'

-Are there any local meat processors that have quick turnaround in the Chama area?...Or anywhere close?

-Are the creeks/drainages that are flowing north through the cruces wilderness crossable on a regular basis? Or are they more than knee deep? Are trout in these creeks for an evening dinner?

-How is the rutting activity in early Oct? Most posts suggest that this season is better than the bow seasons.

Thxs-
Chris

Congrats on the LO authorization. May I ask how much it set you back?

I put in for this unit (muzzy hunt) also and am doing similar research.

Good luck Chris
Bill

Most unit the bull are still bugling here and there, BUT they aren't very vocal in the daylight, But some cloudy and overcast days can be great.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bulls are still bugling,Last year on opening day the Cruces Basin recieved about 8" of fresh snow.

Yes those creeks have lots of trout in them.The only problem with the Cruces is getting an elk out of there without horses.

A few hunters but lots of elk.Closest butcher shop is the grocery store in Antonito CO.

The LO tags aren't exactly out yet, I just called a landowner that I knew had a few tags and sent my deposit in well before the draw. The draw is less the 15% for NR, so why wait? The tags were $2200 each.
Crcountry

Are they deep creeks? They look small on google earth, but I hope they are crossable at numerous locations. It's a PITA to have wet feet. I always bring my gortex gators and an extra set of hunting boots, but if the creeks have plenty of riffle sections and boulders/rocks, it makes for a dry crossing.
crcountry

The hike/pack out with meat doesn't look nearly as bad as what we suffer with in CO on past hunts. This country doesn't appear to be steep at all, with rolling high country of dark timber, aspens, and open parks. It looks like the greatest accent is 8300-10000', but most of the country looks packable. Brazos ridge for example is only 2 miles from the road.

Are you suggesting that horses just makes it easier, or horses are really a "must". We're in pretty good shape and plan on camping out somewhere near water, but not too close to elk. We want to be close everyday.

Crcountry

The problem with the Cruces is that its really not very big, and them drainages aren't 'deep'. It's pretty much a big bowl containing rolling terrain, with the road circumnavigating almost the entire perimeter. A good place to play bumper elk, not so much a place for 'undisturbed virgin wilderness hunting'. There are also quite a few guys that weasel in there on their damned 4wheelers, particularly from the west side.

As mentioned above, bulls typically still vocal, truchas in the little creeks, beautiful country, lots of elk. Lots of idiots as well.

Send PM if ya want a couple places to get get away from the latter.

If you really want to hunt the Cruces it will be a hard pack out with elk quarters unless you shoot him really close to the boundary. Some of the drainages especially on the north side are very steep. Not too many folks hunt the north side. Lots of guys near the campground and trail down into the basin. There are places to get away from the crowds if you do your research. Biggest bull we have seen was a 320 +/- most are smaller than 300. Good luck

It sucks, little bulls and jerks, stay away!

My favorite place in the world! Some good bulls as mentioned. Normally I do not see many back in the wilderness, but last year was a zoo with NR LO tag buyers fro OH, Wisconsin, etc. Great country and good luck! I hope to be there in September!

Hello Hunting1-

Yeah, I'm learning that the wilderness isn't exactly a place to find solitude as it's only 18,000 acres. I am figuring out a few spots that elk don't get monkeyed with too much though. It seems that these elk don't stampeed onto private land like they do in CO OTC units. With only 250 tags for all of unit 52, there's plenty of places people can go to spread out and see decent 250-270 bulls...San Antonio, Brokeoff, JawBone, etc.

Hope you draw a tag, I just wasn't interested gambling with a low draw % and secured our tags way before the lottery

Thxs again-
Chris

You will enjoy it! There are elk all over the unit, so just find an area where there isn't camps set up and enjoy!

Thanks and hope I am there as well! If Ihad the cash i woul buy a tag every year! I find elk every day I am in there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom