Unit 52 ML Antelope

J

jollynm

Any pointers on where to start scouting Unit 52 for antelope? I have been studying the topo maps and will be driving to the area for scouting in the next couple of weeks. Hiking/backpacking is OK. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

It is mostly flat with one big mountain.....antelope are everywhere from top of the mountain to way out in the flats....have fun

Hey, if I were you I would buy one of those cow decoys, find a herd of cows and walk with them til you find some antelope. Be sure and pick up some cow pies along the way so you can drop some occasionally to look realistic. You will also need a Angus call to make occasional moo's to be realistic!

Just kidding!

Tim

Chase, Thanks for the information. I will most likely hunt San Antonio Mountain. It appears to be good camping and hunting terrain.

Tim, what can I say. Good luck on your SE New Mexico hunt. Have you been assigned a ranch yet?

Jerry

Chase is right san antonio is nice but dont limit yourself to just that NW portion of 52... HWY 285 has several enterances into an area known as the taos plateau that runs to the east all the way to the "big river"... mostly BLM land holds more antelope than this ol' bow hunter can fling arrows at. it also helps that i work out there almost everyday. there are some good spots all through this area and just as many great camping spots that might put you closer to the action... thats all i can tell you with out giving away too much valuble info but keep an eye out for my favorite 52 resident... i like to call him the cape antelope AKA spread eagle... good luck

ricalfredoleon:

Thanks for the tips. I will check out the area east of 285. From what I've seen driving through the area it does look like great antelope country. If I see him, I will certainly let Spread Eagle know that you would like to schedule a meeting.

Jerry

Unit 52 Antelope

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-10 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]We have been hunting that unit for years and the most important piece of advice is Once the weekend has ended it really gets hard to even get 500 yards from an antelope. Your best bet is the earlier the better. Its pretty good around the base of San Antonio Mountain. Those antelpoe go back and fourth on the base.

Here is a buck my dad shot 4 years ago. We lucked out on this one.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/3054dcp_0405_1.jpg

Good luck,

PS.Dont forget to post your success

RE: Unit 52 Antelope

ElkSniper:

That is a super buck. Thanks for the tip. I will be taking my camera , now all I need is for the speed goats to cooperate.

Jerry

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom