Unit 52, Muzzie Pronghorn tag: use bow or muzzie?

Outdoors

Have the ANT-3-106 tag that allows using bow or muzzleloader. Is for Unit 52 August 15-18. Tag is limited to west of Rio Grande River. Anyone try using a bow on this hunt? Should I just take my muzzleloader instead?

Depends if your willing to not fill the tag. The potential is there for some really nice bucks. Had that tag like 9 years ago and there was some nice bucks even wit the drought that year.
I would take the ML

Antelope in that part country are way more skidish than goats

Ive seen anywhere else in the state.Could be done though.

Before it was a muzzy hunt it was a bow hunt.

take ML better! when I was 14 I killed antelope with bow up unit 52 when it was plentiful! now it's spooky goats! I ll see you up there! my brother have tag!

my wife, cousin and I killed 3 bucks nothing big few yrs ago FUN hunt!

crazymaez, we ll be up in 52 for antelope, deer and elk season so hope to see you up there!

VINIHUN

I have hunted this unit twice. I hunted the same year that NMPaul did and the following year. Also helped a buddy one year. I saw and chased the buck NMPaul took, he was nice, very nice. I have had my best sucess on the north-side of San Antonio Mtn., out in the flats in ground blinds. I also took one buck near the top of the mountain after he became spooked off the flats. Took one in the flats at 180 yrds. and the one on the mtn. at 40 yrds. Both with a muzzleloader. You will probably be the only guy using a bow, just some advice. If you decide to hunt the mountain there are places to ambush them in the trees.

Don

Don, sorry I got the buck you were trying to get, but, it was total dumb luck that I got that buck.
I was North of Mt San Antonio in the clear area out in the middle after a blown stalk. I glassed and saw a single buck just trotting along over 2/3 miles a way. I didnt have to move 100 yards, laid down on top of the hill and that buck came into me like a fish on a line. Complete dumb luck (the best kind). I piled him up with my ML and was caping him by 8:30 opening morning.

It's been about 7 years since I hunted that but we hunted for 5 or 6 years years in a row.I would take the ML.We did harvest 2 bucks over 17 but we saw more east of the highway,we did always see some on the mountain just never left the easy ones to go after them.I have some of the crossings marked on my map so PM me if you need some ideas.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom