Unit 52 Muzzle ELK

lovehunting

Looking for some advise from other's that hunting this unit in the past. My son and I drew a bull and cow hunt in the first week in October. Looks like Cruces Basin is the place to be. Have a few questions for those that have hunting this unit in the past. Is FR87 good enough shape when wet to get a camper in and out? Is there ample camping spots close to the wilderness area for trailer campers? Do I need to take my 4 wheeler? Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated. I did hunt 52 Lope their last year.

Thanks,

Jack

That's an awesome unit and you shouldn't have any problems finding elk!! FR 87 is a really good road and easy to travel with campers for the most part. Only time it gets bad is if it rains quite a bit, then it can get pretty nasty. There is plenty of camping directly off of 87, and more on the side roads. We have never needed the 4-wheelers in that area, but they would be nice to drive around the side roads and not beat up the trucks so much. Good luck!!

Congrats, it is my favorite unit! Be prepared or it can get really nasty above 9,000' that time of year! Lots of elk from San Antonio all the way up. Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys.. Question for you both from what I have read it sounds like Cruces Basin can be a zoo with all the out of state hunters and grouse hunters.. What is your experiance on this?

>Thanks for the input guys.. Question
>for you both from what
>I have read it sounds
>like Cruces Basin can be
>a zoo with all the
>out of state hunters and
>grouse hunters.. What is your
>experiance on this?

I only went into the Basin one time just to check it out. There were several guys camped off the road once we got there, and multiple guys who had backpacked in. I wasn't terribly impressed, and all the elk we have been into were not in the basin. I think you will find Grouse hunters pretty much anywhere up that way as there are a lot up there.

I usually make a trip to Lagunitas area for Grouse sometime in Sept. But don't hunt except mid day when you elk hunters are supposed to be napping...
There are Elk pretty much anywhere in 52 but the good grouse holes will have some bird hunters in there in Sept. GL
Jack

GL nothing wrong with that I love Grouse haven't had many since I moved to New Mexico 25 years ago from Colorado. Boy did I love to hunt them when I was a younger man. Are they as stupid down here? I would shoot their head off with a .22 and the others would run over wondering why there friend was flopping around.. Shure made for some good food though.

IMO the muzzy tag is the best tag to have! There are many elk in the unit but don't get your hopes up too high for a bull 300+. They are there but few and hard to get to! As far as the basin goes its good looking country but you got to get a jump on all the people that go horseback in there. Like mentioned above a lot of people do camp near the basin with their horse trailers.

I think 52 has some of the biggest grouse but also some of the smartest. Probably why they get so big!

Good luck!

5161sa.jpg

many elk and many area to chose to hunt! Good luck

Thanks ViniHunt, Looking forward to spending some time up there this summer. As you know its getting harder to draw every year. Just blessed my Son And I have a tag in our pocket. Any addition to that (punching a Tag) will be icing on the cake..

Jack

Try the foothills, of brokeoff moutain. you make a left at the corrals just past US outfitters camp. Don't hunt the basin unless you have horses, thats where the outfitters take most of their clients by horseback. Also try juanita mt. Good Luck!

>
5161sa.jpg

>
>many elk and many area to
>chose to hunt! Good luck
>

Take a good look at this Mt...
This would be worth your time to scout!!!
You will drive right past it... all down hill to pack out your elk...

just got back from scouting the unit. Saw elk, bear, and lots of speed goats they look in great shape.. looks like the unit and 51 is getting rain most afternoons..

Hello Jack-
Here's something to consider: They move all of the cattle out of the center of 52 and take them down to the San Antonio corrals. For the most part, the elk calm right down and forget all about the 5000 head of cattle stampeding SE with 20 horseback cowboys driving them down the hill. But last year there was one area that was completely devoid of elk....and the year before there were lots of elk in there. They take the cattle out of there the day before the MZ opens. Sometimes I think it really matters where the domestic cows are getting driven out of. If there are lots of trees/aspens nearby, they calm down quick and readjust in a few hundred yards....if its open creek bed country, they'll blow out and not return. My tip after 2 years in there: Get 1 mile off any road where there's a decent mix of dark timber and aspens. I've always liked the Banco Julian area, both east and west, Rio Nutrias, Ulguin, Ojito, and down south looks good too off brokeoff mtn, etc. You really cant go wrong. The easiest spot bar none: San Antonio Mtn from what I hear. Tons of elk, and all down hill once you tag out. Just get there on Th, scout for a full 2 days, and then go tag a bull. Second tip...dont stop walking/scouting until you start finding lots of fresh #####/sign and screaming bulls. 10/1-10/10 they will be bugling regularly. Also, google earth is great to find all of those light green shaded areas where there's golden grass on the hills, and then small patches of green grass down in the wet(er) areas. Find those green patches, find some elk. Wilderness looks good, although I've only walked in there once. A complete MF'er to get an elk packed out of there on your back. Also, the NW panhandle looks incredible, although I've never walked an inch of it. Crossing brazos ridge is dicey IMO. A 4-wheeler would make much more sense. No motorized vehicles off any part of FR87 and FR93...except to go down to eastern wilderness parking lot.
Good luck-
crcountry

WOW that is a lot of activity the day before the hunt. I hope they decide to bring them down early. Starting to get excited but still have a lot of work to do. It is a big unit and I know there are a lot of elk. But as we all know it's nothing for elk to go 15 to 20 miles over night. Thanks for the info, I and my son need all the pointers we can get.

Jack

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom