Unit 52

BBB

Very Active Member
Hello,

First off, I'm not too familiar with New Mexico although I was born in Farmington and moved away as a child. I have a friend who may have the opportunity to hunt Sept. 1-15 in 52 on a "guided" hunt. Although I don't think he needs to actually have a guide hunting with him. (Am I wrong?)

He hunts every year in Oregon and is usually successful for branch-antlered bull. He's in his 50's, in good shape, and knows how to hunt elk.

He's a bit torn whether he wants to do invest money into a trip. He knows it'll be fun but is it a whole lot different from an Oregon hunt? From what I hear 52 is a decent unit, but with an early season tag what sort of expectations should he have? Will he most likely have opportunities at bulls? Are there 300" bulls available on public?
Are they typically rutting in the early season or is it lots of water tanks type hunting?

Any info will help. If you prefer to PM, that is fine. Thanks.

You will have to look long and hard and get really lucky to find a 300 bull in 52. Lots of elk, but most herd bulls are 5X5's or smaller, yes smaller... That being said, it is simply beautiful country with tons of elk, deer and antelope. Good fishing and tons of public land. 300 would be a lofty goal. Have you considered 6A? Same story as 52, but with much bigger elk. 300 would be do-able. You could pick up a landowner tag for 1500, quite easily, as far as a guide goes, you wouldn't need one for either unit, tons of elk, majority public what more could you want. The elk in 6 bugle early so the 1st hunt can be really good.

52 is not that bad. I live right here and yes it aint the quality of 16s and 15s or 34 or 36. It is still very good. Like the other guy said alot of elk. I wouldnt say that a 300 is complete out of reach. Most the bulls we pull out run from 260 to 290. I disagree as far as the herd bull size. Most of the true heard bulls are nice fives and 280 6x6. There are smaller bulls and bigger bulls. There was a 370 killed in 52 last year. Not a hole lot people got to see him but i have trail cam pictures of him the last 4 yrs. I am not saying that they are alot of them that size but there are nice elk. I would go with a guide if you dont have time to go and scout it or dont know that area. Hope that helps

Thanks to all that replied. I think he is going to hold off this year and look into it more for next year.

Good luck to all on your hunts!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom