Unit 53 Report

C

CGS371

Not all posts can (should) be success stories.

Still learning and MM is a tremendous aid (once I learn how it works a little better).

So, I saw no mature bucks. I saw 3 elk (too far to tell anything about them), 4 coyotes, 1 Bighorn, 14 does, and 1 spike. Also, found one dead buck remains with antlers already chewed to nubs.

I started hiking to the high country on the West side of the range. For some boneheaded reason I hike right past all the good sign so I could sit on top and see forever. Lots of forever, little MD. That didn't work so i tried the opposite and hit the sage flats - glassing and driving, led to groups of does at first and last light (spike mixed in). I walked a lot of sage drainages, but that only led to finding the dead buck. Sage sure smelled good though. Tried one last go, hunting the aspens in the snow, where I saw deer three weeks ago - not there now.

The deer I saw seemed to be focused on water. I think they are moving only at night - maybe hunting pressure. I understand they were not moving well in some of the super prime units too.

I think I suffer a little from lack of confidence and patience. I need to slow down, make a plan (maybe write it down and staple it to my arm), and stick with it. Still learning... Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the update.Even though I dont hunt 53.Learn a unit good enough and where they like to hang out when its snowy,windy or even hot seems like your doing a good job at that.The better you know that place the better off you are.Good luck in the future

53 is my favorite unit to hunt deer, you have to hit all the right spots(well my favorite). What part of the unit were you hunting this year?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom