Unit 54 Type 2

Broomer

Drew type 2, planning on special archery season so I can hunt entire unit.

Can anyone share access points on the west side of the unit? I need to get to know both north and south so I'm focusing on the west of Cody.

What is the country like? Public land? Privet? I know there is a little wilderness but outside that is it packpacking only? Any roads for a SXS to stake out a base camp? Are there trail head or is it just bush whacking?

Really looking forward to the hunt and I'd love some pictures of the country.

Thanks guys!

LAST EDITED ON May-06-17 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p]There is no wilderness in 54 and you'll probably want to be hugging the west side of the unit in the NF or in the BLM close to it. I hope you're aware of the high grizzly population over in those units and to be bear aware at all times, especially if you're doing a solo hunt.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-17 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]>Your tag is not valid in
>the entire unit read very
>carefully section three paragraph three
>in the elk regs.

Yep, as he read the Special Archery Section and thinks he can hunt all of 54 because it says "good through the entire unit". However, his "entire unit" is not all of 54, but rather the following area described in the previous section for rifle season and that also applies to the September archery season:

54 2 Oct. 1 Oct. 31 25 Limited quota "Any elk valid north of the
Clarks Fork River"

Sorry bro's but I spoke with F&G and that special archery season allows me to hunt in the type 1 boundary until 10/1 with archery equipment. I don't want to argue but I know what I'm doing, but thanks anyway.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-17 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]>Sorry bro's but I spoke with
>F&G and that special archery
>season allows me to hunt
>in the type 1 boundary
>until 10/1 with archery equipment.
>I don't want to argue
>but I know what I'm
>doing, but thanks anyway.

That will get you lots of help I'm sure and since you know what you're doing, guess you don't need any help after all, bro.;)

>>Sorry bro's but I spoke with
>>F&G and that special archery
>>season allows me to hunt
>>in the type 1 boundary
>>until 10/1 with archery equipment.
>>I don't want to argue
>>but I know what I'm
>>doing, but thanks anyway.
>
>
>That will get you lots of
>help I'm sure and since
>you know what you're doing,
>guess you don't need any
>help after all, bro.;)

I wonder what desk secretary gave him that information because they are either completely wrong or the statute needs to be written to address what IMHO is very ambiguous!

The "somebody at G&F told me I could" excuse worked well for a Utah Guide and Texas hunter on a bighorn in Utah. I doubt Wyo will be as forgiving.

Hey guys let's not get all like this, no offense intended so please no offense taken. Topgun is correct it's ambiguous and that is why I went all the way to Mike Choma "wildlife enforcement supervisor " to get a ruling. This I did prior to applying.

Anyway I appreciate the help with the area but I just don't want the question/thread to get hijacked. Please stay on topic. I appreciate it.

>Hey guys let's not get all
>like this, no offense intended
>so please no offense taken.
>Topgun is correct it's ambiguous
>and that is why I
>went all the way to
>Mike Choma "wildlife enforcement supervisor
>" to get a ruling.
>This I did prior to
>applying.
>
>Anyway I appreciate the help with
>the area but I just
>don't want the question/thread to
>get hijacked. Please stay on
>topic. I appreciate it.

Get all like what?! If we don't know where you're allowed to hunt legally how in haydes do you figure we can help you? I'd want something in writing from the head guy saying exactly what you said he told you verbally because a GW that stops you might give you a ticket the way we feel the law reads and he might agree with us if he finds you in 54-1 hunting.

I sent an email with this question to the head warden in Cody. Be interesting to see what Alan says.

The regs seems to say 2 different things about this. I'm going from memory, but I think in the archery section that now states "valid in entire area", used to say "see Section 2". So, maybe it changed in the past couple years.

FROM G&F Elk Regulations:

Section 3: During the special archery season, all properly licensed hunters may archery hunt the entire hunt area or areas for which their respective license and type is valid unless otherwise specified in the table below.

The regs go on to state:

Archers with a limited quota Type 1, 2, 3 or 0 elk license may take any elk in the hunt area or areas for which their license is valid as specified in Section 2. (this seems to indicate that the archery license is just good for North of Clark's Fork)

From Above Referenced Table:

Archery:
Area 54 Sep. 1 thru Sep. 30 Valid in the entire area(s)

(This seems to indicate that the archery tag is good for all of Area 54 since it states "valid in the entire area")

I've always been told that archery was only good in the specified "sub-area" that is defined in Section 2. However, I agree with TopGun that it's ambiguous at best.

I'd think that Mike Choma would know for sure. I'm interested in the answer since my area (if drawn) could have the same issue.

Broomer: I'd get the Wyoming landowner chip for GPS. It's 1:24K topo maps and you can use it in your laptop/desktop computer too.
That should help answer some of your access questions.

Also, there is a topo overlay for google earth that comes in real handy. Can easily switch back & forth from topo to aerial.

And, as others have stated, watch for griz. They're thick in NW Wyoming. That said, I've seen plenty, but have never had a problem with them. Just keep a clean camp & you'll be fine.
Don

Broomer: Most national forests have ATV trail maps that are free & show which trails are open for atv/utv use. May want to contact the USFS office in Cody.

Having hunted 54-1 I hope he's right. As a NR up there they rolled out the Wyoming red carpet for me meaning I had several locals and game officer watching every move I made. This is a premium area!!! I had a successful hunt and overall good experience but there was a lot of undeserved pressure while there. So if this guy found some kind of loop hole I wish him the best but I wouldn't chance it.

>Hey guys let's not get all
>like this, no offense intended
>so please no offense taken.
>Topgun is correct it's ambiguous
>and that is why I
>went all the way to
>Mike Choma "wildlife enforcement supervisor
>" to get a ruling.
>This I did prior to
>applying.
>
>Anyway I appreciate the help with
>the area but I just
>don't want the question/thread to
>get hijacked. Please stay on
>topic. I appreciate it.

No harm meant Broomer. Just trying to be funny. Best of luck. Wish I could offer some help

LAST EDITED ON May-08-17 AT 06:29PM (MST)[p]>No harm meant Broomer. Just trying
>to be funny. Best of
>luck. Wish I could offer
>some help

I thought it was the perfect response since unlike Wyoming, Utah is so screwed up that they let Wade Lemon, a big outfitter, take a gal into a closed unit to kill a big ram on a special permit that wasn't allowed there and they let them off when they said a DWR official from anther part of the state said they could do it! What a bunch of BS and it shows how bad the DWR is along with the strong SFW influence on the Board.

"I wonder what desk secretary gave him that information because they are either completely wrong or the statute needs to be written to address what IMHO is very ambiguous!"

I don't agree here Mike. I read the regulation(not statute) and it seems clear to me the whole area is available during the special archery season only. My first post addresses what I perceived as a very rude response by the OP to what I would define as a misunderstanding. I wouldn't give him the time of day after that attitude.

But, this is a forum and those on here that hide their profile can act as they please with no consequence. Right Bro?

The archery table in section 3 says area 54-56, "All" types, September 1-30, entire area. This is the exception as described in paragraph 1 section 3.

This goes for type 1 license holders too, they could if choose to hunt in the north.

Come 10/1 I'll need to stay north.

I heard that there are more elk south but I'm sure north holds good bulls too, and plenty of elk.

Not sure but that is what I'm trying to get answers to.

Thanks again for the input.

>"I wonder what desk secretary gave
>him that information because they
>are either completely wrong or
>the statute needs to be
>written to address what IMHO
>is very ambiguous!"
>
>
>I don't agree here Mike. I
>read the regulation(not statute) and
>it seems clear to me
>the whole area is available
>during the special archery season
>only. My first post addresses
>what I perceived as a
>very rude response by the
>OP to what I would
>define as a misunderstanding. I
>wouldn't give him the time
>of day after that attitude.
>
>
>But, this is a forum and
>those on here that hide
>their profile can act as
>they please with no consequence.
>Right Bro?

As you know Jeff, I've had my mind on a lot of things other than elk for the last couple months, but I now agree with you after having a few minutes to really read the entire regulation. The last sentence in the opening paragraph of Section 3 below has cleared it up for me and I now agree that all of 54 is open during the special archery season.

"During the special archery season, all properly
licensed hunters may archery hunt the entire hunt area or areas for which their respective license and type is
valid unless otherwise specified in the table below."

My knowledge of the 54-1 and 54-2 areas is fairly good. I live in 54-2. Almost all the elk in 54-2 are resident elk. They are there during both the archery and rifle seasons. With the exception of the Tolman Ranch, they spend much of their time on public land. I can watch them from my front porch with a spotting scope.

My knowledge of 54-1 reveals a different scenario. There are resident elk in that unit during the archery and rifle seasons. They move around a lot and spend a great deal of time on private property. That being said, the large bulls that make that unit famous are migratory and generally don't show until late in the rifle season. If you are going to archery hunt 54-1, believe me when I say "stay off the Two Dot Ranch".

just sayin...mh

I wonder what the court costs and attorney fees will be to defend this in court if a wildlife officer reads the rules differently than you do? Ken

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom