Unit 551

Elkhunter96

Very Active Member
Researching this unit. Anyone hunted or have any thoughts on the third season hunt? I know it's barely recovering from 08, but it doesn't take a 200 buck to make me happy.

Thanks

I hunted 551 for the muzzle loader elk season for the past 2 years. Saw almost no deer and few bucks. I wouldn't burn a bunch of points on it.

Not sure where you're doing your research buckhorn......
Numbers still down right suck IMO. Few good bucks around of course. But definitely not a place you go expecting to see tons of deer. i spend a fair amount of time out that way throughout the year and never have never seen anything that has encouraged me to want to build points and hunt it. Good coyote hunting though ;)

Coloradoboy

The Colorado stats show an 87% success for 551 3rd last year. Dont know what quality them bucks were though.

Success rates aren't always the best way to judge a units quality... Don't get me wrong 551 can produce some good bucks. I have a couple good friends out of Doyleville that take some nice bucks out there. All of them on private land though. One of the best bucks I've seen in the gunnison area was actually in the winter of 2011/2012 out around Waunita Hot Springs while coyote hunting.

Coloradoboy

Coloradoboy is right on about not judging a units quality by the success rate.
The OP stated it wouldn't take a 200" to make him happy.
Maybe a 140 is what would make him happy.
What I like about 551 3rd is there are only 26 public buck tags and a non. res. draws with 7 points.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom