Unit 5A elk hunt?

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Trying to work a deal on an elk hunt on private ranch that supposedly borders the Jicarilla reservation. On the surface this sounds like a great hunt. Ranch is around 1900 acres so it has some size. I notice the tags are not that hard to draw, but it that because it is mostly private?

Does this sound like a good deal if I can get it at a resonable price? On the surface it has me excited, but don't know anything about the area and have never hunted NM.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

5A can be hit or miss depending on where the ranch is and what time of year. I've hunted there and had lots of elk one day and none the next. Some of those ranches may have 1900 acres but is broke up land, 500 here,1000 there. That being said we killed 2 bulls out of 3 archery.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-15 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]

What kind of bulls did you see? Is a 300+ bull a possibility?

txhunter58

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-15
>AT 01:09?PM (MST)

>
>
>
>What kind of bulls did you
>see? Is a 300+ bull
>a possibility?
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

There are 300+bulls in there.

I would guess it would be a good place if the ranch has something to draw elk on to it from the Jicarilla, Water, Feed, Bedding area's or Hot cows in Sept.
Does the ranch owner say he has elk on it during a time there are hunts.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

So far all info through a 3rd party. Going to call the ranch owner tonight

txhunter58

I hunted elk on a private ranch in 5A this past year. The ranch bordered the Jicarilla and it was a brutal hunt. The elk were on the wrong side of the fence every morning. They were coming over for water around 12-1 in the night and going back over. The rancher ended up pulling the rest of his tags because he said it was the worst he had seen since he owned the ranch.

So, I would say it depends on what the rancher tells you. I wouldn't pay a lot for the tag but if its reasonable then it may be worth a try.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom