Unit 60 Antelope

Elmacho

Well, I drew the tag with 7 points....looking to scout a bit in August.

Any info on conditions, good places to camp etc appreciated.

Looks like I will have 7 days to hunt....woo hoo.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-13 AT 08:14AM (MST)[p]Well, congratulations.

Over the years, 60 has the reputation of being THE number 1 Area for trophies.

Most of it is BLM - you can camp anywhere that's convenient, it's a big unit.

Good luck, and don't forget to post a report after you hunt.

Come to think of it, post a report after your 1st scouting trip.

(PS - With a tag in 60 so hard to draw, would you ever consider an outfitter?)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-13 AT 03:40PM (MST)[p]Congrats Elmacho! I drew the tag as a resident. Due to my plans to scout deer, I'm not sure I will get over there before the season starts. However, if I do I will try to help you out.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-13
>AT 08:14?AM (MST)

>
>Well, congratulations.
>
>Over the years, 60 has the
>reputation of being THE number
>1 Area for trophies.
>
>Most of it is BLM -
>you can camp anywhere that's
>convenient, it's a big unit.
>
>
>Good luck, and don't forget to
>post a report after you
>hunt.
>
>Come to think of it, post
>a report after your 1st
>scouting trip.
>
>(PS - With a tag in
>60 so hard to draw,
>would you ever consider an
>outfitter?)

If you can judge antelope to the 1/2 inch you won't need an outfitter. There's plenty of pronghorn, but for me judging them is a pain. If you can't judge them learn how and still don't hire an outfitter. If you do hire an outfitter I'd go with PGS and no one else.

Thank you all for replying. I am a do-it-yourselfer. No Guide on this one. I have a fairly good idea on judging them.

Just trying to get an idea of areas to look at without either staying in one spot too long or spreading it too thin.

Any body shoot birds in that region. I am thinking of bringing my pointer to work some grouse, chukar or huns????

Area 60 is huge as you know. HIghlight waterholes on your map for places to start looking. All antelope need water and that includes big bucks. A spring in or near an area of roadless country can be a good place to find a monster. If a buck is bothered early September he'll pull out an hang nearby to wait for the trouble to cease. I believe late September is a great time to find bigger bucks, as the rut is in full swing and you can observe who Mr. Bad is. Into October can be good as well, just more of a chance for foul weather.

As far as specific places, I've never had the good fortune of hunting 60. I've hunted 61 a number of times and my hunch is that that eastern half of 60 would be a dynamite place to find a big buck. There's some water sources and lots of remote country.

Good luck.

Just make sure to bring a couple of spare tires. Everytime I go out there I seem to get a flat. Its all good antelope country. Plenty of elk and wild horses to look at too!

I would also show up a few days before season to scout, that way you are not tempted to shoot the first nice one you see. By scouting before season you can get a good idea what the top end is for this year...good luck! Post pics when you get back.

Congrats on the tag!

With that unit tag in hand, this DVD movie would be of great value! "Size Is Everything".....all antelope footage and scoring.

The # on the jacket is 1-623-566-8708

Like $20......

Keep us posted on your scouting ect.

Robb

Got the video. Good info and very helpful.

Also got to scout for a day while on family vacation in early August. Saw a ton of bucks, but only a couple I thought "Maybe"?, so they probably weren't all that big. Did see one toward the end of the day that was an absolute bomber, dwarfing anything we saw all day. Couldn't find his water though, so not sure what part of his range we were on.

I welcome any other advice you all have, as I just could not cover the whole unit in a day.

Good luck to you all this season.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom