Unit 61 1st Season Bull

F

FullDraw84

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-12 AT 01:43PM (MST)[p]Here are a few pictures from my elk hunt. I had a 1st season bull tag for back home in Colorado.

It snowed a couple of inches the night before the opener. Opening morning was intermittent snow & rain, with lots of fog. We spent the AM chasing bugles in the fog. The fog burned off at 12:30 and I spotted this bull with 22 cows and 3 raghorns across the canyon. They were at 700 yards, so we moved down canyon as they fed until they were at 500 yards. I was able to create a shooting rest and settle in. My wife and I watched this bull for almost an hour and a half before I decided that I did want to kill him. We watched him work his cows and bugle almost three dozen times. He was initially at 505 yards, with just a trace of a breeze coming up canyon, so I felt comfortable with the shot. He fed down into some aspens and presented a shot at 475 yards. I hit him with the first shot and he began moving toward a thick drainage where I was going to lose sight of him. I missed with my second and third shots, then dropped him with my fourth shot. We watched him for 15 minutes and he didn't move. It took us an hour to cross the canyon to get to him. He is a big 5x6. Was originally a 7x6 but broke two points off of his left side. My biggest bull to date.

We cleaned him and hung his quarters that night. He was 4.1 miles from the road. I shot him at 14:30 and we didn't get back to the truck until 23:45. His body size was unbelievable and he was difficult to clean on the steep hillside. We went home, got the horses and a couple of friends, and went back in to pack the quarters out. Much easier and quicker trip with the horses! My brother also got his bull on the opener, so needless to say, Sunday was a busy day for us getting both bulls out of the canyon. We were fortunate to have the five horses to pack them out.

This hunt was very special for a number of reasons. It was the first time that my wife was with me when I shot something. I also had my brother and father there, and was able to talk to my mother, who was back in camp, on the radio after I got him. With my brother and I both having tags, we spent over 30 days on the mountain scouting together. We saw some unbelievable sights and had the opportunity to spend some great time together. This was also the first time that I used my horses for packing an elk. They did such a solid job, I couldn't be more pleased.

This is also the first animal that I was able to shoot with my new rifle. It is a Browning A-Bolt Long Range Hunter, in 7MM, and I put a Huskemaw scope on it. I put over 200 rounds through it in practice prior to my hunt. I received some excellent coaching from a very experienced shooter and learned more about ballistics than I ever thought that I would. If I had not put in the practice, I would not have been able to have the opportunity to harvest this bull.

Even at my age, this is the last time that I will choose to hunt Unit 61 for 1st Season. It is my absolute favorite place in the entire state of Colorado but as a resident, I feel that there are other very good hunt opportunites that take less points for me to draw. That being said, I will continue to spend 30+ days on the Plateau simply for the fact of being out in it. If anybody ever needs help in this unit, feel free to look me up. I will offer up my two cents and you can do with it as you wish.

Hope you enjoy!

7993pa130116.jpg

5285pa130118.jpg

3797pa130130.jpg

5751pa130147.jpg

7386pa140192.jpg

5606pa130129.jpg

655pa140194.jpg

9832pa180219.jpg

My hiking partner sure enjoyed my elk success too!

Thanks for sharing. What a great bull and a great hunt (and write up)!
I had the same tag this year. That first day was a little rough!
I'm glad you got to share that hunt with your wife and family. What a special time together.
Congratulations on a great bull and on making some awesome lifelong memories!

Congratulations on taking a fine trophy and thanks for sharing your story.

Before you die.....Take time to live

Full Draw, thanks for posting this great story about your hunt. Well written. Your offer to help others is appreciated. Good luck to you. Cow Tag ------------- Chuck from southern Illinois

Great story Adam, It was great meeting you and your brother, My son really looked up to you. Yea, thank god for horses this year.

Congrats on your bull I enjoyed the story

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

Thanks for sharing. Great story and pics. I doubt if I will ever accumulate enough PPs to hunt a premium unit like 61, so I'm jealous.

Great write up and super nice bull. Hopefully will get the chance to archery hunt 61 in the near future myself

Congrats on a successful hunt with your family making memories. You did welland sounds like you invested the time. I agree with you, the platue is an awesome place, but once I draw I will hunt other units that I can draw and hunt every few years. I have 16 points and have hunted 61 and will be hunting it again in the next few years (I have 9 points, wife and boy have 10 & younger twins have 7). Should be there three times in the next several years. Not tomention once for elk in the next couple years.

Thanksforsharing your story and I will take you up on your offer and pick your brain once I draw for some information and advise.

Congratulations Adam on a fine bull.
I think I have seen you and your brother in the hills on a few occasions.
Glad you were both successful.
Best,
Jerry

Congratulations on the bull

Romans 10:13
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-12 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]Congratulations on your bull! Pretty nice 3rds for an Uncompahgre bull.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

Very nice Bull.
Great Memories for everyone.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom