Unit 61 Archery Deer Hunt

Bugle6x606

Hi all, new to the forum. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Our group has 10 NR PP, been trying to get into 61 for an archery deer hunt. My dad, uncle, and friend (my group members) know this unit fairly well, they got a chance to hunt it before it was a trophy unit back in the day. They also were fortunate enough to get in for a rifle elk hunt a few years back and muzzy muley back in ?08. Got a report from a hunter that did this same hunt this year that it's really dry, he only saw a few deer. Sounds like it was the same last year. Just curious what some of you would do in this situation. Stick with 61 since that's the unit we know? Try a different unit and if so would you have any recommendations? Unfortunately we are only able to scout a couple of days before the hunt. I certainly appreciate any advice anyone has. 10 years invested, seems the point creep had us by 1 or 2 the last 5 years. Just trying to get a chance at a good hunt, but not looking for hand outs either. I know it's hard work finding some of these areas, and I respect that info is not easily shared. Thanks everyone.

Anyone have any thoughts? My gut tells me to stick with 61, the unit we know and hope for the best. Appreciate any advice anyone might have. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-18 AT 07:35AM (MST)[p]Are you sure you want to bowhunt? I think that is the biggest question. If it were me, I would spend my 10 points on a muzzle, 2nd or 3rd season tag and then bowhunt a 0-1 point unit the next year or two. If bowhunting is your thing, 61 might be your best bet as you already know it.

The benefit of 61 on the bowhunt is that there are a limited number of elk hunters compared to some other units that are OTC archery elk.

I was in that area for archery Elk opener. Extremely dry. I did not see a single deer where I was. The fire activity has had an impact.

Was just looking at some statistics and what it took to draw out for both archery and muzzleloader. Muzzlerloader might be a better option for us if we don't go to 61, we just planned on archery because it looks like it will take 14pts or more to do a muzzle hunt in 61. I was looking at units 21, 40, and 63 which seem to have decent success and we could get in a muzzle hunt with 10 points. Appreciate the feedback nripepi!

Thanks for the feedback Bob, was looking at the thread on the fire, didn't look good. Have a friend that hunted 62 off the divide road for elk, he only saw 1 elk this year, no one in their group did any good.

I don't know what statistics you are looking at. Non-resident unit 61 muzzy took 9 points this year. Same as archery, 9 points.Unit 21 muzzy took 9 also. Unit 40 and unit 63 took 3 points for muzzy. There are much better hunts out there for a 10 year
investment, in my opinion. But 61 sounds like a fun hunt if you have an inside scoop.

Hi Jainoon,

I was looking at the same stats you mentioned from 2017. Saw that 40 and 63 don't take much to draw but they had decent buck success rates last year. Hard to say what quality they were. Leaning away from 61 at the moment, just haven't heard much good about it. Do you have some muzzy recommendations? PM me if you want. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom