unit 61 archery season

hntnfsh67

Hey there,

Was wondering if any of you guys had done the archery hunt in unit 61 for deer? Looking to get my first muley with a bow. Not looking for honey holes just some tips, what areas were crowded?Areas to stay away from? A lot of elk hunters? Which areas were better for getting away from the road and packing in for a bivy type setup? Any info would be greatly appreciated. You can pm me here at MM or hit me up on [email protected].

Matt

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work"
Thomas Edison

Sierra,

Yes its in Colorado. GMU 61
Ever been there? I have some starting points but not sure if I want to burn some of my points there. Just trying to get some feedback from other MM member on their experiences there during the archery season. See if it would be a good place to take my first muley with a bow. Good luck in the draws!

Matt

because it is dressed in overalls
and looks like work"
Thomas Edison

HntFsh... I have never hunted that unit...actually this will be the first year I will apply for a archery mule deer tag.
I am looking at different areas for a high country backpack hunt.
I dont have any mule deer points in CO. But I see there are alot of good high draw pecentages for archery in CO.
What type of hunting are you into?

I've bowhunted it several times for mule deer....but only once since the draw was implemented for archery there. Overcrowing was not an issue, as the zone is fairly large with a relatively small amount of tags issues compared to the other side (GMU 62). There are still pockets of quality deer there, as with many zones in Colorado this day and age. Best advice is to buy some Top Maps (7.5 minute) and find areas with food sources and water nearby...that's away from roads. Generally that time of year, you'll find bucks in the aspens, however, I've seen some lower in elevation as well. Once you have your maps, etc., call the warden/biologist of the area and get some feedback there as well. Don't overlook the far south/eastern portion of the zone either.

Lastly, if you're not familiar with the zone at all, go a few days early and drive the unit, looking for pockets of deer that you are willing to hunt. You can camp on top of te playeau almost anywhere. Good luck and hope it helps.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Sierra,

I've hunted blacktail by bow for 3 years, usually backpack in and spot and stalk or like last year sitting on a well used trail. Been very close but have not closed the deal. Have taken an elk in oregon though. Been rifle hunting for quite a while with good sucess on blackies and mule deer. Nothing like getting close with a bow though.

BOHNTR,

Thanks for the reply. I have already covered the maps and talked to the biologist, great starting point. But I have not been to that area of colorado. Have hunted some of the north western and central units though. Being my first archery hunt for mulies I was looking to get some insight from the other MM members, like yourself. Have plenty of points to draw it but still not sure. I usually try to have a plan A,B,C depending on the state and my points. Used Deerking's service last year and it really helped giving me a 2nd choice fallback unit.
Do you think 61 would be a good place to try for my first bow mulie? Not really looking for a trophy, just good bivy hunt with good numbers of deer. The biologist seemed to think I was on the right path. Thanks again for your insight.

Good luck to all in the draws.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Matt:

If you're not too selective, that zone should work. Keep in mind, it's not your typcial "bivy" style hunt, in terms of backpacking, etc. Although there are areas you can get away from some roads, there's usually a some within a few miles. Keep in mind this is also a "quality"(??) elk hunt as well. Although most hunt later on in September when the bulls are vocal.

Any of the high country timberline zones offer some good "bivy" style hunts. Some are better for deer. There are plenty of deer in 61, but it's not an alpine type "glass" hunt. It will involve some still hunting and possibly some treestand situations once you have patterned some bucks at water, etc. When I hunted there, I prefered still hunting the aspens and finding the buck I wanted.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Roy,

Thanks for the tips. I am looking to get at least 3-5 miles from the roads and it seems that might be better suited to a high country hunt. Could save a few points too. Although I did find a couple of areas that might suit my interests. I received a few PMs and emails with info similar to what you are saying. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all that PM'd and emailed me!
Good luck in the draws.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom