Unit 61 elk any reports

coyoteslayer

Going to make a quick trip to 61 for 2 days of hunting archery elk this weekend, then will head back later in the hunt. Just wondering what the bugling was like this weekend? Any signs of rut?
Thank you

Any reports to hear would be great. I'll be there second season with a bull tag. By the looks of the weather it must be getting pretty dry out there

I did make it out for a quick trip this weekend, some bugling, but not a lot. Was able to call in one 5 point and see a few others. Hoping for better action in 10 days.

I was there last Tuesday through Friday. It is warm and dry for this time of year. highs in the 70's lows in 50's. The bulls were bugling, but unless there were 2 bulls close, they would only bugle every 10 minutes or so. One night, they got going pretty good. I never did see a bull much over 300, and killed a small 6 point. The bulls seemed to come into calls silent. Fun hunt, put a lot of miles on the boots, cool country.

The bull to cow ratio in this unit makes it favorable to bugling as opposed to cow calls. There's so many bulls that a bull is hesitant to come into a cow call as they are afraid to get their ass kicked or are leary that a cow is actually needing to call for a bull.

Bugle to locate only. Move in as close as possible only bugling to locate them if they go silent. Then cow call lightly once or twice. If the bull won't come and you can't close the distance challenge him with a bugle. Cut him off bugling if possible. Get ready.

If he won't play or a satellite doesn't walk in move and play another group. JMHO.

Good luck!

>Any updates? Did it snow along
>the Divide rd yet?

I don't think so I didn't see any white on top of the uncompagre from my house
Grand Mesa got a dusting on top looking at CDOT cams.
West Elks no snow above Crawford but some back in the higher elevations
Unless we get more storms snow won't last very long on the open hills

I was told there is some light snow on top today, another chance of snow this Monday though small.

The webcams around Telluride show some light snow on top.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom