Unit 61 elk/which season

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
tired of the PP game!! Been applying for Unit 61, first season last 2 years. I'm right there with 13 NR PP's. Hunted deer 3rd season and saw 7 6-point bulls hunting low during mid-sixties temps. My dad's 73 and after this I'm trying to get him to put in for 4th season with 14 NR PP's. He wants to do what I do. I was leaning toward archery. Figured I'd be in bulls the last 2 weeks of the season and come back 4th season to help him. He says if I do archery, he'll do archery. I think it's gonna be too tough on him.

Do I do 4th season?? Worried about 5 day season with one day taking care of his bull.

Whole idea is to get him on a great hunt before he can't do it any longer. any opinions???????

ElkSlayer,

NRs with 14 elk points had a 50% chance of drawing the 1st rifle bull tag in 2007. Your dad's one year ahead of you in points. Put him in for the 1st rifle tag in '08, he'll probably draw. Then take your dad on a great elk hunt, you'll be the best guide he's ever had and you won't regret it. Use the experience and knowledge that you gain from your dad's hunt, to decide if you want to wait several more years to burn your points on a first rifle tag or burn them sooner on an archery tag.

Just my opinion,
COBUK

is unit 61 mostly public land or private? I know nothing about this unit and am interested in 1st season rifle bull. how many points for a resident to draw and is there any possiblity of a youth hunter drawing also?

mostly public land. not sure about the drawing status. have to check the draw odds at the top of the page when CO gets activated

BlackPowder season would be my choice for the best opportunity to kill a good Bull.

BeanMan

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-08 AT 11:34PM (MST)[p]Without looking up the odds, I recall thats the hardest tag to draw in 61. (Muzzy)

Saw that the tag #'s went down to 1 NR in 06 for the 4th season and 10 points got you that tag the last 3 years, (04,05,06) With only 1 tag, 14 might not be enough.

Actually the 1st season for him is a great idea BUT I'd also thought about hunting the last 2 weeks of archery myself and coming back with him for 1st season. Like I said, I'm tired of only being able to hunt cows the last 5-6 years. lose the points and I can archery in a unit with tons of small bulls every other year.

Got 3 months to decide and convince him. Thanks for the help guys.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom