Unit 62 3rd Season

accubond

I posted this in the mule deer forum but I will also post it here. I was wondering how everybody did in 62 this year. I am thinking about burning my points for a third season hunt there in 09. I'm assuming that hunting will be better and hopefully a little less crowded in this season than in the second season when I normally hunt. Any feedback on this years hunt or any hunt in that unit would be greatly appreciated.

We hunted elk 3rd season but saw more deer than elk. We would see from 8-15 deer most every day including 4-6 bucks. Not real big deer but several very nice shooters (or shooters for an Okiehunter like myself).

We did see 4-8 elk per day, most were cows. The only legal elk we saw as a small 4x4 we could not get a shot on and a nice 4x0 (broken off on one side) that I passed on.

We hunted at about 8500 feet all week.

Hope this helps you.

Rick

Okiehunter, thank you very much for your feedback. Was there any trouble in getting some distance between you and the roads in that unit and about how many other hunters did you guys run into? Thanks again.

We were about a mile as the crow flys from a road in two directions. It would take about 45 min to walk into the area and yes we seen hunters (2 or 3) most every day. The good news was almost everytime we would see a hunter they pushed game across the area we were watching. Without the other hunters we would not have seen as much game.

It was almost funny, these guys would push game across the ridge and then here comes a hunter following 5-15 min behind and the hunter would never have a clue there was a deer or elk within a 100 miles. Most of the game was not running either, just a fast walk but not too fast for some easy shots (although long shots 300-600 yards) had we had a deer tag or seen a legal bull. Heck a few times there were good bucks and even a bull within easy range of one guy and he never had a clue. The bull stood there and watch the guy while as we "sized" the bull and the guy never seen either the bull or us. Since the bull was broken off on one side I passed but the guy never seen him and he was closer than we were.

There are a lot of roads in the north part of the unit but most of the hunters stay close to them. There are some deep, thick stuff I am going to hunt next year, but it will take a lot of will-power and lungs to get in and out of them. More lung than I felt I had this year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom