unit 62 colorado mule deer

jamie42

Ive hunted this unit 3 times. Going for my 4th trip in October. The first 2 years was pretty good to me. But the last trip was terrible. Talking to officers in that area, other hunters, and one outfitter. It seems they all have the same to say. The units been over hunted and the predators are running rampid. Im hearing the mt. lions are hard on the mature bucks.
And It seems like the beef cows are becoming more and more abundant. I tried contacting dnr to see if anyone enforces how many they are allowed to graze, but he wont return my calls. A local rancher laughed when I asked how many head he had in there, saying "im suppose to have". But enough rampling,lol

My question for everyone is how much effect does warm weather truly have on a hunt when a person hunts super hard. Glassing and still hunting. It was warm last time I was there. And didn't see anything of any size.

And my second question.. Should I take my chances hunting less desirable units with a 4th season option vs hunting every coulpe years in 62 during the 2nd rifle hunt when the weather has been less than desirable?

The cattle will affect it. There is somebody called the Range conservation officer that works for the forest service in that unit and they will be responsible for making sure the cattle are moved from an area before it gets overgrazed. That is critical. If it is greased correctly the deer will benefit if it is grazed incorrectly it will cause major problems for the environment and the deer. The weather has a massive effect.

Range conservation officers are federal. There will be one for the BLM as well. It's a critical job. And usually the ranchers don't listen. They are often fined if they don't move the cattle.

Deer populations are what you want to keep track of. What is the change in population estimation for the year? Did it drop?

there were lots more range cattle in 1965 when no one complained about the quantity and quality of deer.......

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Thanks. I will try to get in contact with a range conservation officer.
I live in WV, and so does my hunting partner. My hunting partner just got back from scouting the unit with his family. And reported very few deer sightings. From my experience, Deer sightings in general have stayed fairly consistent in my hunts. Just the sightings of mature deer have dropped off significantly.
Correction...I have been there 4 times, not 3. This year making my 5th trip, not 4th. Started hunting in 2007 or 2008. I saw 7 mature bucks on my first trip. But only brought home a 6x6 elk, no deer. My second trip I saw 2 mature bucks, killing one. My 3rd trip only 1, killing it. And no mature bucks in 2016. An outfitter friend believes the Mt. Lions are the reason. Says laws have changed on Mt.Lion hunting, and more and more cats are in the unit. Claiming the big mature bucks is what they target because the old deer will typically not run.???
Whats your opinion on whether I should hunt 4th season units vs a 2nd season 62 hunt when 165" deer and bigger is the goal.
And thanks for the previous replies and info about range officer.

On your last 3 trips seeing 2, 1 and 0 mature bucks I don't think one could statistically say that the mature bucks are not there. Those are all low numbers and it is likely more weather dependent. Now 7 to 0 would be significant!

No offense but I would guess the cattleman and local Dow dont give a hoot about someone from West Virginia's opinion on the cattle range there. There are definitely mature deer in that unit.

No offense taken.
But it wasn't an opinion. First hand info from a cattleman that they run more cattle than allotted.Someone from WV doesn't make the rules for the local cattleman. DOW should enforce the rules they make.

The first time you hunted the unit 12 years ago most of Colorado had much better deer hunting and more mature bucks. There have been some bad winter kills since then. Lions can limit deer numbers but I doubt that is the main factor limiting mature bucks in the unit. Mule deer numbers can fluctuate significantly from year to year in many units in the west.
Hot weather in October will restrict deer movement, especially in the afternoons. If the weather is warm, your only good chance of finding a mature buck is first thing in the morning before it gets hot or the last few minutes of light. I'll ?still hunt? in the afternoons in the hope of finding a bedded buck but it is a tough way to hunt them.

DOW has no say in cattle grazing on public or private land. Cattle grazing is controlled by the land manager which is mostly BLM or Forest Service. I'm not sure how State owned land is managed for grazing in Colorado but I doubt DOW has any significant control over it.

Thank you for your response Brian. That's the type answer I was looking for. So should I stick with 62 second season since Im learning more and more every trip, and hope for cold weather. Or start my research for a 4th season tag in another area?

I hunted 3rd season one time. Personally didn't see much difference in the hunt or the weather that particular year. I'm sure odds are in a hunters favor the later he goes, and the closer he gets to the rut. But after seeing the amount of hunters in that area during a 2nd season hunt, I figured my chances are better 2nd season before everyone shoots the place up and drives things into hiding.

I just found this website few days ago watching Brian(founder of website) kill some studs on youtube. Ive been wearing it out reading on the forums.
I'm hooked.lol

>there were lots more range cattle
>in 1965 when no one
>complained about the quantity and
>quality of deer.......
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yep, and we're paying for it now.

Not to get off track here but never ask a rancher how many cattle he has. It is no different than a rancher asking you how much money do you have in the bank.

Sorry for late reply guys. Been busy after we got back bowhunting ohio, working, and building my house.
The trip was fun as usual. And we made it out and back safely. So thats most important.
However, the trophy muledeer hunting in that unit is definitely not what is was when I started going there. We had good weather. Cold temperatures and snow one day. I hunted with my 11yr old son and another friend. We glassed extensively. And did some still hunting thru some areas on a couple days we had high winds. Glassing ahead before walking very far and glassing again. Did this for a couple miles without even seeing a deer. Hunted 6 days and saw 5 bucks. Biggest 2 about 120 inches. The others being forkhorns. 7 adult hunters in our group and one nice buck spotted and killed in those 6 days. Talking with other hunters and local cattlemen, the deer just arent there like they were. And big bucks are very far and few between. Everything I have wrote is 100% the truth. And ive began my research to find a different unit to pursue muledeer in either a 3rd or 4th season hunt. Problem im finding is that it appears every unit is not as good these days as it was it the past.lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom