unit 64 antelope

B

Beans

My boy got lucky and drew this tag, We plan on at least one scouting trip this summer. If anyone could get us started with a little info on lodging,road condtions, if atv's are necessery. It would be appreciated, We plan on a lot of time glassing to find the right goat. Oh ya how crazy is opening weekend out there. Thanks again

Not many options on lodging out there that I am aware of, pretty sure there are no options at all inside that unit. If it were me, I'd stay in Lander and make the drive daily or camp in 64 or perhaps a little of both. If you end up deciding to hunt the west side of the unit more, than you could stay in Atlantic City (I'd rather make the drive to Lander myself). Feel free to send me a PM with regards to lodging options. Best of luck, definitely a great tag to have and hopefully the big bucks survived the winter in there OK.

Good unit, but like all units in WY you need to pick thru a lot of bucks(unless you get lucky and find one 1st thing) to find a top end buck(a buck over 15"). Good access, don't need an ATV. Opening day there are a few hunters around but by the 3rd day you will be almost alone. No facilities in the unit, best to camp out. Carry extra gas, extra water. Good luck, if you hold out a 15"er or better is douable.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks for the input guys. I will start at one end of the unit and be as mobile as possible to cover as much country as i can.

An ATV would be a good idea. The main BLM roads are OK, but most, if not all of the interior roads are terrible. You could probably get a truck down them, but it would be trashed by the end of the hunt. If you don't have one it is not a problem to kill a goat though, as you can see many from the main roads.
There are tons of goats, it is a fun hunt, you have to weed through a lot of goats to find a big one.
As others stated, there are no services. Last time I was there, there was gas and a small bar/cafe in Jeffrey City. Nothing Else. Lander is your closest civilization. PM if you have any more questions. I hunted it in 2007

Give your boy the best experience by camping in the area. Nothing quite like the stars and the coyotes yippin at night. Plus, you can start hunting right away at daylight and hunt until dark without too much driving. Those lower sunlight hours are great for watching goats. As others have said, you will have to pass a ton of goats to kill a good one.

I'd sure second that last comment as he will remember that trip a lot more if he's out in the boonies at night under the stars. It's also sure nice to just step out of your tent/camper and start hunting!

I have not hunted 64, but wanted to pass on that I was in Jeffrey City last fall while hunting 68 and there appeared to be nothing open anymore. I was only there once and not from here, so I could be wrong, but I would check on Jeffrey City before you count on it. Muddy Gap may be an option for you as well. Good Luck should be a great hunt.

don't know anything about the unit except you should be in goats all day....sort thru them and you will find one that is worth the trip....

Nothing but a bar in Jeffrey City, not even a public telephone (not even in the bar).

Not too much in Atlantic City. Did see a bed & breakfast.

Lander is good, but more than an hour away from the center of 64. Camping is your best bet.

Lots of good bucks. By great good luck, and lots of help from my friends, got an 88 last year.

From a WIKI search:

Today, the only businesses that remain are the First (Southern) Baptist Church (which is still doing well thanks to the area ranchers who attend) and a bar called the Split Rock Caf? that caters to the few local residents and those passing through on the highway.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-11 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]I was in the area today. I went all the way from Bair Oil to Jeffrey City. I was in 64 for a quite a ways, and saw one decent buck. Probably not a shooter for the area. I thought I saw someone in Jeffrey City getting fuel, but I wasn't paying too much attention. Muddy Gap is open. I doubt I will be back in 64, as I have a 61 tag. I was just bored, and wanted to see the country. PM me and maybe I can help you out with maps, etc.

I think WE all know how to use the PM, so what is that link all about when WE already know how to access them?

Snow is always a possibility. Prepare for it, clothing-wise.

Last year we had severe thunderstorms with hail in early October. Freezing temps most every night.

Chains and a winch (to hook to other vehicles) are a good idea. (We didn't use either last year. If you don't bring them, then you'll need them. Don't forget a shovel too.)

I always allow an extra day on the front end, and an extra day or two on the back end, to allow for bad weather.

In 2009 I had snow in 48. Had a plane to catch. It was a meat buck or nothing. I chose the meat. (That lets you know I'm not a genuine, dyed-in-the-wool trophy hunter.)

Good luck. 64 is tops in my book.

PS - Lots of good petrified wood and interesting agates, etc., all over the place.

Just curious of how the winter kill was in the unit last year? Haven't been up that way this year, but have herd it was pretty bad in some areas.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom