Unit 65

J

jwarren

Anyone know much about 65 for deer? Thinking about applying for muzzleloader tag. Want highcountry hunt, but I was wondering if there is very much private or any other issues to restrict access to high country. Also wondering if it is a very good unit. Appreciate any help. Never too soon to start planning for next year.
Thank everyone

there are large private ranches both high and low. can be an issue if the animals get pushed there.

Thanks Magnum, are the deer in the wilderness areas on the muzzleloader hunt? The biologist made me think 65 was as good or better than 62, but I wasnt sure because I never hear anyone talk about it. Looks like big, steep country. Id love a good high country muzzy hunt as long as access isnt an issue.

You can drive right to the wilderness boundry by way of owl creek pass to west fork trail head which starts you at about 1200ft.Is there deer up there, I don't know.I only hunted 65 once on a late season leftover cow tag.I think the majority of the deer are in the northside of the unit towards highway 50.So are the private ranches.SilverJack res. looks like a nice place for base camp though.Sorry i can't be more help.I think you can use atvs on the alpine trail.

There are leftover cow tags still available for the 2nd ,3rd and 4th season.You might want to get out there this year and check it out for yourself. Plenty of public access to the high country.I think that was your concern.Roads might be bad late season though.

Ya i have hunted 65,great unit for Elk,good for Deer.Hunt early I saw one of the biggest Bulls i have ever seen in that unit as well as taken a couple of nice ones myself.As for Deer i have taken two Bucks in the 170 class&several 150-160 class.Always got my Deer& most of the time a Elk.We hunted the Little Cimmaron (State wildlife area)and the High Mesa up on top...good luck

Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate all of you being willing to share info. If I can help any of you out let me know. I know Mt. Dutton real well if anyone ever has an elk tag. Also hunted Diamond Mt. and Thousand Lakes. I would like to scout 65 this year, but I have 62 muzzy this year. My first out of state tag. Very excited for it, Im leaving wed morning for 12 days. Good luck to everyone this year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom