Unit 66 deer

Ridn9high

I will be hunting 66 2nd season for deer this fall. Looking for a little help from previous hunters in the unit or others that know the area.
My wife as never been on a deer hunt and is wanting to go with me to Colorado this season. If she decides to go, we will be towing the travel trailer up. How are the dirt roads for towing a trailer when it rains or snows?

My number one focus on the hunt is to try and kill a good buck. But at the same time, I'm wanting the wife to have a great time and hopefully get a tag of her own one year. She just recently started waterfowl hunting and fell in love with it, so hopefully deer will be next. She also loves to trout fish, so I told her we would make time to hit the river and creeks while we were up there. How's the fishing in the area? Any particular areas we should try? I'll mainly be fly fishing as she likes to use a spinning rod and a Panther Martin.

I don't hunt off four wheeler, but would take one up if it would help get around some of the roads, especially if weather came in. Would a 4wd pickup be fine on most of the roads during and after a rain or snow storm?

If anyone hunted the unit in the past couple years and would like to share their experience feel free to PM me. If there are any elk/deer hunters that will be in 66 during 2nd season and want to trade info during the hunt, just let me know.

If I can help with info in unit 75, region W, or hunting and fishing in Oklahoma, just let me know!

Thanks for any help guys!
Mike

Mike,
My experience in 66 is limited to one elk hunt several years ago. I only saw a hand full of deer and according to some(one from CA) I'm a bad hunter for only seeing a few deer. So I can't help you there.
I will tell you from my experience bring chains for all 4 tires. If the weather gets bad you won't regret it. The quad could help, but will be limited to getting you to trail heads.
I'll hit up some buddies and see if anyone else has info on 66 and shoot you a PM if so.

BTW, depending on your timing & mine, give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer if you swing by the greater Denver area.

Zach

>Mike,
>My experience in 66 is limited
>to one elk hunt several
>years ago. I only
>saw a hand full of
>deer and according to some(one
>from CA) I'm a bad
>hunter for only seeing a
>few deer. So I
>can't help you there.
>I will tell you from my
>experience bring chains for all
>4 tires. If the weather
>gets bad you won't regret
>it. The quad could
>help, but will be limited
>to getting you to trail
>heads.
>I'll hit up some buddies and
>see if anyone else has
>info on 66 and shoot
>you a PM if so.
>
>
>BTW, depending on your timing &
>mine, give me a shout
>and I'll buy you a
>beer if you swing by
>the greater Denver area.
>
>Zach

Zach,
I appreciate any info you might get. Like I've told you many times before, if you ever get down this way, we'll get on the water after some type of fish or ducks! If I come up to the Denver area, I might just take you up on that offer. Some of the wifes family lives in Thornton

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom