UNIT 66 SUCCESS (HELP)

buckhorn

Very Active Member
Well I have my choices for DEER narrowed down to two units.

Unit 66 being one of them. Also will have to choose either muzzleloader or 2nd rifle.

I haven't been in CO since 2002 so I need some help from you guys.

Have any of you hunted in 66 lately? (DEER or ELK)

DID you see any good bucks?

Thanks Jeff R.

Thanks foulshot but I wasn't asking about doe.

I would appreciate a reply from a GOOD hunter that knows what a Big Buck is. Not a Jackass.

>Thanks foulshot but I wasn't asking
>about doe.
>
>I would appreciate a reply from
>a GOOD hunter that knows
>what a Big Buck is.
>Not a Jackass.

OK dumbass, next time I won't reply at all and let you burn your money and points.

Simply stating that in 5 days all I saw was 2 doe.

Best of luck with the Big Buck....

>Thanks foulshot but I wasn't asking
>about doe.
>
>I would appreciate a reply from
>a GOOD hunter that knows
>what a Big Buck is.
>Not a Jackass.

WOW! D!ck reply of the year award.

And to think I almost responded to your original post earlier......

I hurd that there are some real nice mule tail doe in unit 66. I hurd also that there are some nice buck. Every time I hunt there I see alot of track too

Anybody that says the hunted unit 66 for 5 days and only saw 2 (DOES) is either a lousy hunter or your full of sh.
Just saying.
By the way a foulshot is one I wouldn't expect to be accurate anyway.
If the follow op shots arent hitting the mark either I will change the setup.
I'm willing to help anyone I can and I can do it without that kind of crap.

>Anybody that says the hunted unit
>66 for 5 days and
>only saw 2 (DOES) is
>either a lousy hunter or
>your full of sh.
>Just saying.
>By the way a foulshot is
>one I wouldn't expect to
>be accurate anyway.
>If the follow op shots arent
>hitting the mark either I
>will change the setup.
>I'm willing to help anyone I
>can and I can do
>it without that kind of
>crap.

That's actually pretty helpful info if you read into it some.

Sorry we got started off on the wrong foot.
I got a little twisted up there.
Could we please start over?

Humbly, Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-14 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]Good luck buddy!

I'll stay off these monster ego boards since I'm a lousy dumbass.

That moose I found must have been bullwhinkle

I would go for 2nd season rifle. I never saw a lot of deer while elk hunting there either but have seen a few heavy deer over 10k ft. I could have probably killed with the bow. If you hunt 2nd rifle without any insider info you will still kill a buck. If your happy with an average muley buck that would be my pick. Theres always a couple big one around. 9pts. and like 80 hunters I think? I hunted before and after 2007/2008 and yes theres still less big deer but I would like to hunt there for 9 days on a 2nd season tag but I'm not a trophy hunter. I'll buy a LO tag for $499 if any would like to sell me one. LOL!

Hey buckhorn, I could use your advice.

Is this a good buck?
DSC02085-L.jpg

I took this picture at about 10 yds(with a p&s) back in Sept'12. I was scouting for rifle season.

Never did connect with him come Oct sadly.

>Hey buckhorn, I could use your
>advice.
>
>Is this a good buck?
>
DSC02085-L.jpg

>
>I took this picture at about
>10 yds(with a p&s) back
>in Sept'12. I was
>scouting for rifle season.
>
>Never did connect with him come
>Oct sadly.
foulshot
That is a very good pic for a p+s. You did good.
Hope you get a chance at him again.
buckhorn

Thanks for the comments folks.

They were inspiring to say the least and definitely helped in my decision.

Wish you all the best of luck.

buckhorn

Buckhorn,

Pretty lousy post and and show of character in my opinion. For some one that hasn't been in the state since 02 you're rather opinionated... Foulshout is most likely telling the truth. The deer numbers in the gunnison basin are poor, fair at best as most whom know or are informed on units 54,55,66 and 67. But since your looking for a 'GOOD' hunters opinion I'll keep mine to myself.

Coloradoboy

coloradoboy

Your right. That was a lousy post and a poor show of character on my part. And I already apologized for it. Maybe you missed that.

I still feel that the first reply by foulshot that I reacted poorly to was not meant to be helpful. More like kicking a guy when he's already down. Looks like you had to get a kick in also.

The CO web stats. show unit 66 as having one of the highest hunter success rates for bucks in the state. There is also around 50 doe tags, so obviously there are plenty of deer to be seen.

When a guy tells me he hunted there for 5 days and saw 2 doe what am I supposed to think? I had just got home from a rough day on a construction job and his comment just didnt set well.

Im sure you all have been there a time or two. I will be more careful next time.

What he described is normal for elk hunters hunting up higher than where the deer are in 2nd season. It's not hard to kill a deer in 66, killing "the" deer is the problem. Hunter success figures just show numbers, not quality that's being shot.

One thing I have learned over the years of running this site, is that if a person comes on the site and offers to trade information with someone, they get more than just coming on the site and asking people for information. You know what I mean?

There are different types of posts. Some come off sounding like someone who wants to be apart of the community, create friendships, share knowledge, etc.
Other posts come off sounding like someone who jumps on the site and wants other people to hand over knowledge freely.

I get people all the time who message me with such things as, "what can you tell me about unit XXXXXX". Those folks aren't wanting to be my friend, or exchange their knowledge for mine, they simply want me to give them something for nothing.

My point is, anyone asking for info. will get much further by offering something in exchange. Knowledge of their own. Heck, most people probably won't even want what you might have to share, but the fact that you're offering something in return, will get you further.

I just wanted to post that after seeing the reactions from the posters in this thread.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

"coloradoboy

Your right. That was a lousy post and a poor show of character on my part. And I already apologized for it. Maybe you missed that.
I still feel that the first reply by foulshot that I reacted poorly to was not meant to be helpful. More like kicking a guy when he's already down. Looks like you had to get a kick in also.

The CO web stats. show unit 66 as having one of the highest hunter success rates for bucks in the state.
There is also around 50 doe tags, so obviously there are plenty of deer to be seen.

When a guy tells me he hunted there for 5 days and saw 2 doe what
am I supposed to think?
I had just got home from a rough day on a construction job and his comment just didn't set well.

Im sure you all have been there a time or two.
I will be more careful next time."

Jeff,

My post was simply stating the fact that in a 5 day elk hunt I saw 2 doe. Nothing more nothing less. You asked if anyone had hunted there recently, I replied that I was there about 3 years ago for elk. You asked if anyone saw good bucks, I replied that I only saw 2 doe during that 5 days, oh and bullwhinkle(small bull working up a marsh/creek, I've got a picture somewhere). I can't count how many times I've read similar posts by other folks in regards to their hunts. Trust me, if I wanted to be a smartass I could more than accommodate you.

One thing you should keep in mind, success does not equal quality. That is not to say there isn't quality deer, but that can be said for just about every GMU here in CO.

I don't know how you come to the conclusion of what my hunting abilities are a result of that statement?

I don't post a lot over here, and you can check the mirror as an example why.

Best of luck with your hunt, I sincerely hope you find "the" buck. Please come back and tell us all exactly where you found it.

Zach

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-14 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the suggestions all.

I am willing to help anyone anytime I can. A lot of my posts on these forums are an attempt to help others. The people that know me know that I have a lot to offer. I share a lot of my experiences by personal messages. I have hunted almost every western state. Most of hunts have been in Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming and Utah.
I have guided hunters in Arizona, Nevada and Idaho for Deer, Elk,Sheep and Antelope. I have been very successful at both guiding and hunting Trophy class animals for myself and others for the past 45 years.
I believe I always give more than I recieve.
I hope this doesnt sound like boasting, thats not my intention.

I will gladly give any info. I have to anyone who asks.

Sincerely,
Jeff Rogers

I hunted 66 in the fall of 08 for elk. I only saw 2 deer while elk hunting and maybe 8 or so does hanging around the road. Near town. I saw 100s of elk though. The winter of 07/08 wiped out the deer where they weren't being fed. Considering unit 66 has 3 Wilderness areas there is a lot of high country. I would think the majority of the oldest age class of deer is now 3 to 4 years. I also saw a trophy antelope while elk hunting there in 08 imagine that. I have also killed 3 bulls and a deer in the unit. I've been called a troll on this sight for just giving my opinion because it wasn't the one they wanted. I've never come on this site looking for some one to give me something for free. Just want to hear from some other hunters experiences. Don't really care if there experts or novices or where they harvested there animals. Anyways that was my experience for unit 66.

LamBow

Thank you for the reply
I appreciate your explanation.
Did you hunt in the wilderness areas?

buckhorn

I hunt wilderness,NFS, and Blm. In 2002 it took a NR 2pts to draw
a 2nd DM rifle tag and deer hunting was better then than now. But
I havent been there for 3.5 yrs so maybe I shouldnt have commented. But now I think it takes a NR 8pts.todraw.
So did you put in for the the draw?

I put in for the Muzzleloader Deer hunt in unit 66 with 10 non res points.
There were 7 non res tags last year.
It took 9 pts to guarantee a tag. A couple of apps were drawn with 8.
If I draw I will give it all I got. Also will be looking for a guide to hire or someone willing to trade help. I dont need an outfitter, just someone that knows the area and loves to hunt Muley Bucks.

Thanks

Jeff

Thats going to be a tough hunt. Ive hunted there 8 times since 2000 and still feel I barely know the unit. Feel free to contact me if you like. I can tell you where I saw some good bucks in sept. In the past. Goodluck. Alot of scouting needed I would think.

For what it is worth, I'm have to back foulshot 100% on this one.

I've bowhunted elk in 67 four times in the past twelve years. My trips have averaged roughly ten days of actual hunting. Tagged three raghorn bulls on the firt three trips...and just got too picky on the 4th trip.

67 has a pretty decent reputation for muleys, but I have never seen more than a half dozen mule deer on any of those trips. Only saw one buck on all the trips combined that I would even have considered shooting...and I seriously doubt he would have taped 150" gross.

Point is...when you are elk hunting...you are elk hunting....not looking for mule deer. Foulshot's first post did not surprise me in the least.

Just sayin'

I agree inarcher. Ive meet other hunters while muzzy and archery hunting elk wondering why it takes so many points to draw a deer tag when they havent seen no deer while hunting. 2 archery deer hunters shot a doe next to my camp because they ran out of time and couldnt get a shot at a buck and didnt see many deer. This is also back in the day when there was hunt brokers selling info on the unit about how great it was. Thats why this unit took such a points jump. You see much more deer lower in the later hunts. Except when they all drown in the snow and freeze and starve to death. Then you even see less. Alot of steep high country for high elevation bucks to hide in.

We hunted 66 back a couple years ago and this is a picture of what we got out of there, he scored about 195 by our math. We had scouted just prior to Muzzy and didn't see much, saw a toad in velvet but were contemplating turning the tag in. Held onto the tag and hunted 2nd rifle...quite the difference. Saw a buttload of deer, and plenty of bucks, but the antler's were just small and thin with no real mass (2x3 or 3x3)... until this one of course....

anyway, shoot me a PM and I'll send ya info on where we were at and maybe it helps. We put in for 2nd season again this year and I'd be interested to hear what you saw during muzzy.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/1059bfd1.jpg

"I'll see ya in the mountains...and if I do, it's my own damn fault for not getting far enough away from the road!!!"

^^^^^^^^^GOOD BUCK^^^^^^^^^GREAT PICTURE^^^^^^^^

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o765/treble71/coloradE2_zps130ac6de.gif[/IMG][/URL]:usa:

Thanks for the post
Thats a good solid buck. I know there are lots of deer and some toads in 66.
It's like anywhere else, they don't come easy.
Congrats on your success.

Only one of us had the tag and there were 4 in the group...the way we hunted it was to split up in pairs and glass morning and night, until we saw one we liked and put it to bed...then go back out with the one guy holding the tag and let him make the decision on whether or not he wanted it... we glassed for 4 days and were on the way in for a different buck that we saw the night before and this guy was running with some doe's.....

I would recommend a few friends( no brainer) to help you with finding them and patience!!! you'll see plenty that are too small and need another 2 or 3 years and a biggun every now and again...

Muzzy I would have to believe they are up high and hiding, they got no reason to come down just yet....just my two cents worth

Just wanted to say hi. I really enjoy listening to the logic and really like a nice pic. now and then.
I have also applied for a 66 muz. with 7 NR points. Don't know if that will be enough as it seems I'm always just short.
Saw some nice bucks in there years back. I always vowed to return someday for a hunt hope this is the year.

regards

nylogger
If a bunch of new apps. don,t jump in for 66muzz you have a good shot at drawing with 7 pts. There were not many apps last year with 6 pts.
Good Luck

Buckhorn, it's getting closer and I haven't forgot about you.

Best of luck on a buck.

Please keep up all updated on what you see.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom