Unit 67 Antelope Questions

elkhunter7pt

I finally got my buck tag for this unit, plus 4 doe tags. Can someone point me in the right direction to start. Will start hunting around Oct. 8th. Also can you camp anywhere out their on the public land? And where would be a good place to get fresh drinking water? Appreciate any help. Thanks

Whoa, you're gonna have a pile of meat . . . I suggest bringing several gallons of water. I used 2 7 gallon jugs for longer trips. Extra gasoline, too! Once you get out there, it's a pain in the rear to go back to town . . . You can camp virtually anywhere on public land.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-11 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]
I would take several containers of water (10-15 gals) and maybe buy a couple cases of bottled water in the shrink wrap when you can find them on sale. You can use them for drinking water and the other for washing meat and yourselves up after processing all those animals! Also, it would be best to have several decent size coolers full of ice (blocks will last longer) to put all the boned out meat in as soon as you can get them butchered. The best antelope are ones you immediately skin and get boned out and on ice, especially in the warmer temps. you might face. Then you will need to find a locker that will final process them and have them frozen for you on your trip home. If you want to do all the processing yourself and have the meat in the proper packaging, most places will freeze and store it for you until you head home. Whenever we have antelope tags we take a vacuum packing machine with us to do our own processing/packaging and then it goes in the Worland locker for freezing until we head home. Figure about 30-35 pounds of finished meat per antelope. If antelope is taken care of properly like I mentioned, I like it better than deer.

7pt-

Be picky, there should be some BIG ones up there, and mostly public land. I'm jealous....good luck.

Congrats on the tag. It's a good one. I drew it last year and killed a nice 77 inch buck opening day. No doubt there are bigger bucks on the unit but it was the only weekend my 11 year old boy could be with me and I wanted to get it done with him there. Tons of antelope everywhere. Take Hwy. 136 East through the center of the unit. You'll see a bunch right off the road...especially the eastern half. Both roads that make up the eastern border of the unit (Castle garden rd. and Ore rd.) are good places to start. Take some of the two-tracks right off of Hwy. 136. You'll find goats on any of them.

You're gonna have a blast!

Great advice there by SlimShedy. The northern half of the unit seems to have more lopes per square mile and the access is tremendous with regards to the blacktop road right down the middle and lots of roads branching off to the north and south. The southern end is much rougher with regards to the road system and it seemed to hold a lot less antelope (there is some gas and oil development on the south, but I didn't see much on the north side). After a weekish of hunting, we saw one booner, one high 70s goat, and we shot two goats that went 75-77. It is a great fun unit with tons and tons of public access and a bunch of bucks to look over. A good spotting scope is highly recommended if you are looking for a trophy. Have fun.

+1 on the spotting scope comment. Unless you want to just settle on any old goat, a good spotting scope is worth it's weight in gold. You can look over a goat from a distance and pretty well decide if he is a good enough one to plan a stalk. Without one you just about have to close the distance quite a bit to look him over better with just binos and you might not be able to get close enough for a good shot before you bust him and then find that he was a relaly good one.

Agree 100% on the spotting scope. Even with a good one of those you've got to find them early before the heat waves kill you. They're nearly impossible to judge through heat waves even with a scope.
The buck I killed was on the north side of the highway. Just off of one of the two-tracks. Saw two other bucks within about 500 yds. of where I killed mine that were 75+.
The biggest buck I saw between scouting and hunting was standing 20 yds. off the Castle Garden road. Problem was, he was on the east side of the road (different unit) every time I saw him. He was definitely a booner.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]A buddy and I had unit 67 tags in '09. We got there the morning of Oct.5 in a blizzard. Ended up with 8 inches of wet snow. we turned south off of 26 in Monetta but with the snow I missed the Garden City rd. I only went a 1/4 mile or so before I realized it. As I tried to turn around without getting stuck a group of 20 goats came out of a little draw and stood there looking at us about 80 yards away. The last one was the biggest antelope I've ever seen. mid -80's. Yes Slim, he was just east of the Garden City rd - in unit 74. Interesting. Anyway, my suggestion would be to stick to the east 1/2 of unit 67. there is more water, more terrain, and more goats. If you go south of 136 the country gets more broken as you get closer to the Beaver Rim (who named that anyway ? )I wanted to check out some of those out of the way spots but access was impossible with the weather. You could camp just about anywhere on the west side of the Garden City road - its almost all BLM. Unit 67 is a good hunt. IF you can stay off the trigger you'll kill a good one. The ones we killed were 75 and 78 inches. We got both within 1/2 mile of Hwy 136 -East of where the Garden city road and 136 meet(on the south side of 136). GOOD LUCK and have fun. Chip

Chip...
It was unit 74 and sounds like it could have been the same buck. He was a Doozer. When I saw him last year he had it all. Pushing 16 inches, huge diggers, great mass and that awesome wide heart shaped look when looking at you. Had plenty of time to look him over at 20 yds. through the binos. Lost a little sleep hoping he'd be standing on the opposite side of the road come opening morning.
Kinda hope he's still alive.

Yep, he's a toad. I've hunted antelope for 25 years and in 4 different states and I almost choked when I saw that one. Hopefully Elkhunter7 will show us some pictures of him in a couple of months !

>I finally got my buck tag
>for this unit, plus 4
>doe tags. Can someone
>point me in the right
>direction to start. Will
>start hunting around Oct. 8th.
> Also can you camp
>anywhere out their on the
>public land? And where would
>be a good place to
>get fresh drinking water?
>Appreciate any help. Thanks
>

I just got back from scouting 67 late last night and seen tons goats everywhere. We seen quite a few mid 70's goats right along highway 136 but the heat waves were so bad I'd be hard pressed to say I seen anything that would hit 80. I know they are out there but we were just trying to get familiar with the unit. Should be a great time.

Does anyone know where we can find some where to have our boned out meat frozen in the Riverton area. Just within range of unit 67. Thanks for any help.

I will get you the numbers in the morning, Riverton Packers won't process wild game... Reining's is in Riverton...

Any news from the unit 67 hunters since opening morning?
We are leaving this Wednesday evening and will hunt till Sunday.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom